Saturday, May 5, 2012

Glimpses of Term Break

From April 27-30, I had a few friends come down to visit me and tour Jeju. Naturally, it wasn't enough time, but we were able to enjoy it.
Here are just a few glimpses of said break.



I went with a few over to see where they were staying. It's a really nice bed-and-breakfast about 50 min. from the city with a lonely beach about a 5-min. walk away.
This is from that beach.
If you want some seaweed, there's plenty to make you content.




Looking towards the right (east).




Looking towards the left (west).




I like this place.




Ah, the peace and solitude.




Sure you don't want seaweed?




Around a small harbor.






Next day (Saturday afternoon), I took the groups over to a trail behind Jeju National Museum. It meets an Olle trail.
When you're going up the hill, this is what you can see if you take a break and look behind you.




From the top of the hill, looking towards the next one.




Halla Mountian (the tallest mountain in what belongs to South Korea).




Remember that view from a short pause as you're climbing? Here's how it looks like from the top.




From another place, this is the hill we climbed and from where we took all these pictures.




Do you see something a little yellow-ish? No, your monitor isn't dirty. It's the picture. It's yellow dust. This comes from the deserts of China. Yeah, it gets all the way here. It's worse than pollen.
Not precisely the "angel of death," but it can cause several inconveniences.




1 of several lighthouses on this island (and Korea).




A view of the harbour and the sea.




Next day (Sunday) they really wanted to climb Halla Mountain. They were late in arriving at the bus terminal, so I started taking pictures. I also talked with my student who came along for the climb and foreign companionship.




My student did the honors.

"When is this bus supposed to come?"




From the start of the trail (Yeong-shil trail--we had to walk about 2.5km from the bus stop to the trail entrance).




Our trail.




The schedule (you may choose from 4 languages).



This was my 2nd time going to Halla Mountain. I still didn't make it to the top.
I believe we started a bit too late AND the weather was against us.
Now I know: NEVER climb Halla Mountain when it's raining. That's really dangerous.
If I must, get water-proof gear before attempting it.


Wonder when my 3rd time will be . . .
Will I go on yet another trail?
Will I make it next time?
. . . we're yet to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment