Friday, November 8, 2019

Wakkanai

Wakkanai, the northernmost point of Japan.

Ever since I found out about this place (during my Hokkaido research), I wanted to go there.

Looking at the info for my train on the platform

Nice to see Russian here

Hmm, so I guess there's more here than I initially thought.

The monument marking the northernmost point of Japan

Yours truly at the monument

Close-up of the sign

That's how close we are to a Japanese (?) island.

This way! Let's go! It's only 42 km/26 miles!

I don't know why I never thought of seeing bikers in Japan.
Perhaps I was too narrow-minded.

Go up the nearby hill to get this view, looking north.


Where do you want to go? How far is it?

A couple of monuments and their respective info
Both dedicated to peace

Oh, this one is very tragic.

The monument dedicated to those lost.

Wakkanai JR Station

The North Breakwater Dome. Lots of fun to photograph.

Yeah, I had fun photographing this place, as you can see in the following pictures.





Wow, the water level is quite high, isn't it?

The cutest and softest husky I had the privilege to meet.
How can you not like that face?


The northern end of Japan's railroad

Small plaque describing the previous photo


I got to touch the northernmost end of Japan's railroad!

Hokkaido is known for its dairy. I am slightly lactose-intolerant, but I find I have fewer issues with dairy in Europe. I wonder if it has anything to do with the EU's high standards. Anyway, I decided to try a bit of Hokkaido's ice cream, in the hopes that Hokkaido's dairy would be like Europe's (and not the State's or Korea's).

Soya's Salty Milk ice cream
My choice has been made.

Soya Salty Milk ice cream
I did not regret my decision.

In case you want to know how much a train ticket to other destinations in Hokkaido cost from Wakkanai.

Dogsled!

That must be a jam-packed weekend.

Back on the train.
You can only go south from here: and that is not a bad thing.

If you noticed from my other Hokkaido posts, I have a video at the end with the pictures (and some videos) I took while at each respective destination.
You can be sure this post will not be an exception.
Here it is, just below.

No comments:

Post a Comment