Monday, February 4, 2013

Unexpectedly Nice Weekend (2.-3. Feb.)

Looking at the title, one might think that I'm talking about an event or a place that was better than I expected. Actually, I mean the weather. The weather was much better than expected. The forecast was rain, but we got a ton of sunshine. It actually felt a bit like spring.


This was from my really long Saturday walk.
I passed by in front of the center for DAUM (Korea's Google) and saw this statue.
Nice.



On Sunday, one of my students and I went to Jeju Starlight Park and Planetarium. I've been on the property before, but now I'll be able to go inside and enjoy what it's got to offer.


Hours and fees.
March - Dec.: 15:00 - 23:00
Nov. - Feb.: 14:00 - 22:00
Adults (5,000 Won), Teens (3,500 Won), and Kids (2,000 Won)

Not sure about when to go between Nov. & Dec., but if you go at 16:00, you should be fine.


The solar system out in the front.



Pointing out Jeju Island on the earth (that's half emerging).



3rd floor, astronomers helping the kids see the sun.



The astronomer caught my camera while talking to my student.



6 telescopes.
Now I see why most should come at night.
I knew this would be here, I just didn't know exactly how it looked/was like.



4-D theater.
I thought this was going to be a movie. My student thought this was going to be a lecture of some sort.
It was a roller-coaster ride.
I guess the design of the seats should've been my #1 clue.
Did I mention that I hate roller-coasters?
I had to admit, it was cool.



Same solar system, but from the 2nd floor (with a view off to Jeju City and the sea in the background).



These seats have monitors with information about the different astrological zodiacs (the kind used most in the West).



Astronomical instrument invented by King Sejong.
You can find this on the 10,000 Won note.



Here's the map to the entire premises of the Jeju Starlight Park and Planetarium.
I really enjoyed this. I wouldn't mind going there again, if possible; but I'd definitely go once it's darker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment