Thursday, February 27, 2014

Complications

During my EPIK (English Program in Korea) Orientation, I've run into a couple of complications:

1. I got sick.

Looking back, I think I had a flu. I felt it coming quite aggressively on Wednesday night. By Thursday, I was a defeated. I was able to see the nurse and she gave me some medicine to take, and a few others for just in case. I had a fever. My joints were throbbing. I was tired 'cause I didn't sleep well that night. I was a horrible mess. I forgot how bad it is to be sick in Korea, where taking time off isn't an option. I was also reminded of how effective and quickly Korean medicine works. I took some and was feeling good enough to continue fighting and be enthusiastic.
I've been blown away by the support and well wishes I've received. 

2. The Sabbath

I keep the Sabbath because I am a Seventh-day Adventist Christian. I had to address this issue to my class teachers and over to the coordinators to find out what I should do. There were Korean classes on Friday night and a field trip on Saturday. In order to keep the Sabbath, one shouldn't work. So I couldn't go to Korean class or the field trip. This means I stayed alone in my room. I was fine with that. I had my Bible, and GOD knows I haven't paid very much attention to HIM these last days. 

Good thing neither became such a big deal. I do have a touching account to share:

Thursday morning. My class had one lecture and then a Taekwondo class session. I was prepared to participate, but I wasn't feeling up for it. So I was allowed to sit on the side-lines and watch. I had to go to the bathroom a few times to pick up toilet paper to blow my nose and stuff. Watching my class, I was so jealous. I really wanted to be out there kicking and being active. P.E. was one of my favorite subjects in school, so to miss out on Taekwondo, that was a lot.

Either way, at the end of the class, they were going to take a class photo. Suddenly, they stopped, looked at me, and beckoned me to come over. What? I hadn't participated and I was as sick as hell; why do they want me to come on over? One of our class teachers came to me and told me to please join them for the picture. I wasn't expecting a class picture, much less to be included in my state. I was going to answer but before I could, one of the three Taekwondo assistants came jogging to me with arms wide open saying, "Come!" I got up and then he took me by the hand and brought me over to the rest of the group, as they applauded.

I was so embarrassed. I didn't want to look at anyone. But I was also so touched, it brought tears to my eyes. It still brings tears to my eyes. How sweet was that?! I didn't have to be included, yet they wanted me to be part of them anyway. I know that is kind of expected in Korea, but it still gets to me. This is definitely one of my most cherished memories of orientation. Oh, did I mention the Taekwondo assistant who brought me over was the most handsome of the group?  ^.~

2 comments:

  1. I went with him as well but he dropped me without much explanation. I know he is doing his job but he was very distant and a bit slack on the explanation of the whole process. Just my two cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For the sake of clarification: what are you talking about exactly? Who is "him"?

    ReplyDelete