Saturday, July 15, 2017

Brief Overview of My First Week (3. - 7. July '17)

Whoa . . . I'm just finishing my second week, and I'm going to write about my first? I guess I have been kind of busy lately.


Let's start off at my apartment.

When I wasn't teaching, I was cleaning/moving in (much much much more cleaning than moving in). I have this thing; when I move into a new place, for me to make it "mine," I have to clean it. Even if it is already clean, just passing a wet cloth over the counters and the floor or whatever is needed, so I can actually say that this place is "mine."

Well, I moved into a place that was inhabited by a guy. Another man lived here (I believe for a few years) before him. I know there are very clean guys out there, but neither of these would have fit into that category.

I had moved into this place on a Friday. It wasn't until this past Sunday (2 weekends later) that I finished cleaning the place (as in, it took about +/- 10 days).
When I first stepped in, it didn't look so bad. If I hadn't moved any of the furniture, I wouldn't have changed my mind. The first thing I moved was the bed to clean under it (hey, I've got dust allergies, so I need to take care of myself). After going through the entire apartment (luckily a studio apartment), I found enough dust bunnies to stuff a pillow or two. After scrubbing the floor (yes, on my hands and knees scrubbing) I saw it shine in a way I didn't know it could. After cleaning the windows (both inside and out), I realized it wasn't so dark outside. My windows were just tinted--with filth. Once the kitchen sink was cleaned, I thought it was a mirror for a short moment. I refused to cook in the kitchen until I cleaned it--it was that bad.
Anyway, the darkness has passed, and everything is clean enough to impress a mother-in-law.

Now to my schools.

I've got 2 schools. Both are elementary. I teach in my main elementary school Mondays - Thursdays. The other smaller school is where I make a weekly appearance every Friday. I teach 5th and 6th graders in my main school (four classes of each grade, so eight classes total. Oh, and each class has 25-28 students). I teach 4th, 5th, and 6th graders in the other school--only one class of each (there are 4 in 4th grade, 7 in 5th grade, and 14 in 6th grade).
As you can tell, both schools are very different. My main school is within the city, about a 15-min. walk from my place. The second school is about a 15-min. bus ride from the stop that's about 10 min. away from my place (in the same direction as my main school). That school is just outside the city.

This is very different to my experience in Gangwondo (강원도) last time. I had 5 schools (2 elementary, 2 middle, and 1 high). Only 1 class in each grade and I saw each school/students once a week. I was paid a lot more then, but I like this arrangement more. I can actually form relationships here. Who knew?

I teach 22 hours per week, which is the max. If you teach more, then you (should) get overtime pay.

The Korean school year is from March - December. I came in towards the end of the 1st semester (early March - late July). The second half runs from the end of August to the end of December. You can see, I've got about 2 weeks of teaching left before summer break. So I've got a nice 1-month summer break ahead of me, right?

WRONG!

I've got to prepare and teach summer (English) camp at both of my schools! I've got a 2-week summer camp in my main school and a 3-day camp at my other school. My co-teachers and I have already been working hard on them, planning the activities, ordering the materials needed, and so on.

I could have 1 week (5 work days) as my summer vacation. We'll see. I still need to request it (Korean school bureaucracy--just accept it) and have it approved. There's some stuff I'd like to do during this time, like visit friends and get my wisdom teeth pulled out. Looks like it'll be tricky planning both. Oh, decisions, decisions . . .

*Random story*
I went to get my teeth cleaned at a dental clinic near my main school. Either there was a misunderstanding or they only clean teeth by drilling along the gum line. It was nerve-wracking, not gonna lie. But I only paid less than $15 for the whole thing (I've got the national health insurance. Wonderful thing--especially since I am uninsured in the States). So both I and my wallet survived the experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment