Friday, July 7, 2017

My First Jimjilbang experience (2. July '17)

That's right. I finally did it. It only took me over 3 years to gather up the courage to finally go and try a jimjilbang (public bathhouse) in Korea.
"Courage?" Actually, "desperation" would be the correct word.
Hey, I see you jumping into conclusions over there! Hear (read) me out first!
The shower drain was clogged and there was no point in showering there since the floor would start flooding with less than a liter.

Remember, this is the beginning of July. The heat--and especially the humidity--are up there. I was working hard in my new apartment, since it looked like it wasn't thoroughly cleaned some tenants ago. Then, I was unpacking too and putting my clothes and stuff away into their newly designated areas. After I finished unpacking, I started to really clean. This was all I was doing a couple of hours before Sabbath started on Friday, Saturday night, and most of Sunday.
I'm proud to say I got a lot done and organized, but I still have a lot to do before I can say "I'm done."

Then Friday night, I found out how bad the shower drainage was.

The teacher I replaced warned me about this and I got the Korean equivalent of Draino and applied it on Saturday night (I was too tired and disgusted to be bothered to do it immediately). Sunday morning, it was fine--except for the grimy clean-up work I had to do. Even while cleaning it up, the drain was clogged again. This time, when I waited, the water eventually went down within an hour. Promising...

So, about 2 days of constant motion and action and manual labor + hot apartment with an air conditioner that's expensive to operate (and hardly any breeze ever enters the windows when open) + the heat and humidity of southern South Korea + a shower that's basically broken = a grossly sweaty, sticky, serious situation.

I needed to call the landlord (or somebody), but I didn't (and still don't) have the contact details nor the language proficiency to do it. Hence, I couldn't wait for Monday, when I could make my plea to my co-teacher. However, I still needed to get through Sunday night. So I did it. I packed a change of clothing, money, my water bottle and went out the door to a Jimjilbang I saw on the main "downtown" area. I figured a bigger one might be better able to help foreign jimjilbang virgin.

It was a little weird, but I was too desperate to be clean to care. I didn't know I had to bring my own stuff, or I could buy packets there. The entrance cost me about 5,500 Won and all the little packets and stuff about 4,500 Won. I read on a couple of blogposts (mainly this guy's) that one should shower 1st. Perfect for me! That's the reason I came! Then one can enter the pools. Each pool has a different temperature. There were 2 saunas as well. The ladies there directed me to what I should do; when, how, where, etc. Before that night, I would've been so feed-up and just left, but I came in knowing they would want to help me, not insult me. Shew, I went there by myself and was naked in front of them all in many different ways (so were they, it is a public bath, after all). 

I can honestly say it was actually nice. A couple of ladies helped me around at differing stages of the process. One even scrubbed my back (which is normal). I think I'd do it again, just not sure when.

My jimjilbang virginity had come to its end.

(Side note: my shower was fixed that Monday afternoon. I've been enjoying blissful, cold showers in the comfort and privacy of my home, just as I should.)

No comments:

Post a Comment