Monday, January 28, 2019

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien (SOAS) Mosque and Jubli Park (13. Jan. 2019)

After looking through the Royal Regalia Museum, I went to Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien Mosque and Taman Mahkota Jubli Emas park (this park is right behind the mosque). With my carryon in tow, I walked to the street behind the Royal Regalia Museum, which took me straight to the mosque.

Department of Syariah Affairs

On my way to the mosque, I came across this interesting-looking building. Thanks to Google, I now know it is the department in charge of propagating Islam and of supporting it as the state religion (which it is).
In case you were wondering, Shariah Law is enforced here. That being said, except for the stares from different men on a few occasions, I've never felt threatened. I genuinely felt pretty safe and secure as a solo female traveler in Brunei.

Back to the mosque!

Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien (SOAS) Mosque

The Sultan Omar Ali Saifuddien (SOAS) Mosque 
There she is. Isn't she a beauty?

Wow



I was impressed.

On the bridge between the mosque and the Jubli park

A 360-degree panorama from the same bridge in the previous photo.

Taman Mahkota Jubli Emas park

Crossing the bridge in the previous picture, I entered Jubli Park. There was a sort of bridge. If you know me, you know how much I love bridges. Allow me to share a few views from a not-so-great-quality camera.


Up at a bridge on the other side of Jubli park, giving another 360-degree view.



SOAS Mosque (and most of the city) from the park.

Kampong Ayer (Brunei's water village) just a little distance away. 
A boat race I happened to stumble upon.


Here's some of (the end of) the boat race.


A bridge to Kampong Ayer.

Crescent moon on Jubli Park's hinter bridge.

Where do you want to go?

back to SOAS mosque

How about we go back to the mosque?

The boat with its own special ramp. 
A view of the central dome through the columns.


Can Non-Muslims go inside? Yes, we can, as long as we cover up.
Don't worry, they've got what you need (black robes for both genders, and headscarves for ladies).
See, they've got you covered (no pun intended).

Inside the mosque (I was told it was ok to take pictures).

Just look at that ceiling. 
My headscarf folding skills are everyone's envy, I know.
That scarf is mine, by the way. Bought it in South Africa.


Unfortunate realization

As I was going through my pictures for this blog, I realized something. I don't have all my photos from Brunei. There are 2 days where all I have are about 5 videos in total. I must've taken over 50 pictures each day--and they are all gone. I don't have all my photos from this day--or any day, for that matter. I wanted to scream.
Since I have an Android phone and a Google account, my photos from my camera (somehow) are saved in my Google Photos page. However, I cannot find many of my photographs in my Google Photos page--and I deleted most from my phone to be able to take more photos and videos.
I feel stupid.
Am I the only idiot this kind of thing happens to?

If it's any consolation, at least I have a ton more photos and videos that did make it (and that Google Photos mysteriously decided to save?). Let me share what I do have.

Families were chillin' at this large plaza by Yayasan Shopping Complex.


The call to prayer from SOAS Mosque, as families continue to play and ride around.

Lovely evening, with SOAS in the background.

My photos from my night market experience (what I saw and ate) are gone. So are the ones of Jubli Park at night, full of families and friends relaxing, playing, racing, and having a great wholesome time. So are the signs of the French & German embassies that are in Yayasan shopping mall. I took a boat tour around and through the water village, but you'll have to take my word for it, since my photos vanished, although one video did make it. I'm sure there's more, but I cannot remember them now.

No comments:

Post a Comment