Thursday, April 21, 2011

Taejo Mountain Weekend (Pt. 1) _15. April_

Surprise, surprise . . . I've been quite busy lately.


Are you tired of seeing that same song on every post?




Anywho, the 2 SDA Institutes in Cheonan (There's 1 in downtown and there's 1 in the west side of the city. I'm in the West) came together on Sunday, April 17 to have a picnic at Taejo Mountain, just outside of the city.


I wanted to check out the place before Sunday (to get a feel for the place, see how to get there, be ready for whatever, etc.). So, on Friday afternoon (April 15), I got on a bus and went there. Later did I find out I was at the wrong part of the mountian.




Oh well. That's fine. I got to do my own exploring.




This side is where the Buddhist community is located. This is as I was coming up the hill to the entrance of the vicinity.







No idea what the paper lanterns were for, but they looked interesting.




Oh, I have to go up there . . .

Bring it on!






What was to greet me as I reached the top? Nothing other than 1 of the largest sitting Buddhas in Asia!


It's so huge, the ears themselves are about as tall as me!








Looking down at the Buddhist community.






Buddha peeking through a row of paper lanterns.






Greetings.





Some of the monks who reside here.
They actually came up to me and we had a little chit-chat (with broken English, sign language, and guesses). They were nice.





More paper lanterns.






Buddha, ever pensive and calm.





Just before going down to the community.





Magnolias!


About the Swastika, calm down. It's the Buddhist symbol for reincarnation.








The temple. By far the largest 1 I've entered, so far.




Looking to my right, the temple on my left.





Inside the temple.


I'm assuming these are prayer mats (?)






Whoa, what a display!





Too bad I couldn't capture everything. It was incredible!






Steps, as I'm walking down the hill, away from the temple.







Looking back at the temple.









Wow, check out the railing for the stairs! Very creative!



So, this is part 1 of the Taejo Mountain weekend.


Next is the Sabbath hike I took with a teacher and former student--not at Taejo Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment