Tuesday, June 24, 2014

강릉 (Gangneung) 20-22.June

Hi guys! I just had a great weekend in the city of Gangneung, Gangwon Province.
I've heard quite a bit about this city, mostly that I have to see it. So I did.


The cafe in Wonju's Express Bus Terminal, where I got desert.
Perfect decoration for a book-lover like me.


Ah, too bad I can't read any of them . . .


Nice wall-paper, but I'd rather have the real deal.


Now, Gangneung Bus Terminals . . .


Wanna play games as you're waiting for your bus? Gangneung's got you covered.


Same with computer & internet access.


There were 2 of these in the inter-city terminal. I guess there's that high of a demand for squid.


Entrance to the Express Terminal . . .


and the entrance to the Inter-City Terminal.
All you have to do is do an about-face (turn around). They share a plaza, they're that close.


Now, off to my guesthouse.


First off I gotta say that I recommend the guesthouse I stayed in: Paldogangsan Guesthouse. They treated me really well there. There was a guy who was very helpful and kind and generous and sweet. I booked 2 nights at the 6-bed female dorm. When I arrived, the guy gave me a personal room--without charging me an extra Won! I guess they don't have many guests. Whatever the reason, I accepted. On Saturday night, I was given the option to move into another room with a girl who just came in. She said she booked the same option (6-bed female dorm) and was gonna receive a personal room. Then the guy helping her thought that maybe we could share the dorm together and be friends. I was already settled in and didn't want to move, but the thought was very considerate and sweet.
The personal room was quite small, but since I was alone, it was comfortable.The only negative thing I will say is that the walls must be paper-thin. I could hear everyone around me as though they were in my room. I couldn't sleep early on Friday night because so many people (adults and children) were talking.
Oh, I almost forgot: the guesthouse is located on the 100 meter-wide stretch of land between Gyeongpo Beach (경포해변) and Gyeongpo Lake (경포호). That's right! Just cross the street in front of the guesthouse and you're on the beach! Or cross the street behind the guesthouse and you're at the lake! Nice, eh?


 Right beside the two computers (sorry, was too busy using them to actually take a picture).


The hallway to my room (4th door on the left).


This is how it looks from the outside.
It caught me off guard, 'cause from the taxi all I could see was the seafood restaurant.
The guesthouse is on the 2nd floor.


A sign on the side if you want an idea of the rooms, before you go in.


Eating are on the 2nd floor. Don't think it's open to the public--yet.


This place even has trick-art.


My bathroom


I had to take several pictures and stitch them together to get the entire bed.


Small TV with A/C just above.
The complimentary towels on the window ledge.


This means the ondol (heating) system is off. Good.


The view from my window. The lake is just beyond those trees.
Hey, most of my views in love motels have been brick walls, so this is something to be grateful for!


The beach on an overcast day.


Yeap, this was at the edge of the lake . . . and the beach is just 100 meters away.


panoramic view of the lake.


Charming pagoda in the center of the lake.


The Charmsori Gramophone Museum & Edison Science Museum (as well as another building they're constructing). More on those later.




Now is the 4.3 km walk around the lake. This is where I took most of my pictures, so brace yourself. You've been warned.





Several groups had rented these. If I wasn't alone, I would've too.


Romantic swan-boats too.


Natural wildlife


The map of the course(s) around the lake.


Even the bike "parking" is creative.


Gyeongpodae Pavilion overlooking the pond. 


Don't you want to be here?


A few panoramic snapshots.






Lovely


What's a Korean park without outdoor exercise equipment?


Zoomed up shots of droplets on leaves.


I guess they like frogs here.


More droplets.


Pedestrians on the right, bikes and rental vehicles on the left.


What a fertile tree!


This was called "Love Child"


With so much rain, no wonder this is green.


Is that what I think it is?


It is! It's a trash bin! Score!
(Yes, they are that rare to spot).


Just in case you weren't sure who goes where . . .


Well, not everything/everyone can go on this trail.


Can you see parts of me reflected on the mirrors?


Gangneung has several hiking trails, just like Jeju.


Hey, relax. Have a seat with us.


Oh, water wheel!


I like these.


There's plenty of parking available.


So many places, so little time . . .


Oh, if we're thirst, we must drink from a frog's throat . . . ok . . .


Where the water wheel is.


Reminds me of Honeysuckles, but purple.


The color . . . whoa . . .


Even the benches have flair!


I guess this is the wetland park.


Interesting picnic tables.


It seems as though just about every city in Korea has a March 1st Independence Movement memorial . . .


Here is Gangneung's.


Busts of the heroes and patriots.


I think you get this one.


An accordion for a Water Lily Wetland Park?


Hmm . . . made in Italy . . .


 
I actually got off of the bus here, thinking my guesthouse was near. Nope. Had to flag down a taxi.
Oh well, lesson learned.


The twin museums (go into Charmsori Gramophone Museum and you go through both it and the Edision Science Museum). Good deal.


A new museum in the works.


From the back.


For those interested in a love story, here's one about Park Shin and Hong Jang


You can literally follow the story on this path.


The establishment to the far left says, "Scooter bank." If they rent, sounds very fitting.


Oh, this tree isn't natural . . .


Wow, each flower is a light bulb.


The Ojukheon was where Sin Saimdang and her son, Yi Yulgok, were born. Who are they? The son is on the 5,000 Won note, and his mother is on the 50,000 Won note. Look it up and read about them when you can--and are interested to.


Ah, I see . . . who needs lanterns when you have these trees?


Wow, I amazed to see something that looks like it reaches out to the Spanish-speaking tourists.
What does it say? Literally, "comodo motel", which is "comfortable motel" in Spanish.


Yay! Another reminder of the upcoming event in 2018.


Here it is with its accompanying artwork.


If you're interested, this place has pancakes! But they serve with bacon and sausage ( a problem for me, but not for many out there) as well as scrambled eggs. All this for 10,000 Won.


Ok, you can have your own picture too.


A little info and history on Gangneung.


I get back on the beach and . . . wait a sec.
Does that say "bungee-jumping"?! And it's only 630 meters away?!
No thanks.


You could rent boats on the beach, even in the rain.


Or ride a horse or a pony.


Wait, are you kidding?


Is this even ethical?


Horse-drawn carriages, of course.


Mirror-ball with man-shaped cut out all the way through.
Ok.


Welcome sign.


Ooo, more droplets!


This bridge is pretty cool.
Don't believe me? That's 'cause you haven't seen it at night.


Can you feel the sea breeze?


From the other side.


I guess this is Gangneung's official nickname.
There's plenty of pine trees, so I can see why.


More restaurants and businesses.
On the corner, there's Paul's and Mary's Cafe. I was told they have killer burgers and I wanted to try it out. Either they're closed or they moved and just abandoned that location.
Sadness.


Your luck depends on your aim.


The other bridge inland from the cooler bridge I took a picture of twice already.


If you need any more maps or info . . .


What? A dive spot?!


Yeap!
I should look for my NAUI card/certificate.


I thought this was cute.


Here are a few words, for those of you interested in learning Korean.


You know, I see this is a very long post, I'm gonna have to split this post into multiple entries.
Look for Part 2 soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment