Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Jecheon & Danyang, Chungcheongbuk-do (제천 & 단양, 충청북도)

This past Sunday, I was invited to spend the day with 2 ladies who teach in Wonju SDA Language Institute and 1 of their students. He drove us around in his (brother's) car all day and took us to a few wonderful places, 2 of them being in Jecheon & Danyang, both in North Chungcheong Province.

First, we have the Shrine of Baeron in Jecheon. It has a sad history, which you can read here

The entrance (after parking your car).


Map of the area.


Some info about the area.


We visited a cave & this was the info plaque.


Said cave with one of said teachers.


3 SDA teachers in a cave.
Guess which one has no height issues in the cave.


The 1st seminary in Korea.


Honestly, I didn't catch his name.


panoramic view of the memorial.


The center piece.

Wait, is that what I think it is . . . ?


Yes! It's Hebrew!
Blast! Too bad I forgot just about everything.
I want to say that's the 10 Commandments in Hebrew, but DON'T quote me on that, since I'm not sure.



What an exquisite Korean angel . . .



Even behind the memorial I thought it was lovely.



The main chapel from the outside . . .


. . . and inside.


Doesn't it look like the ceiling of Noah's ark or something?
I'd love to hear a quartet here. The floor is or marble (or similar), so the acoustics are fantastic.



Couldn't quite make out what this picture is of . . .


Oh, a maze!


Ooooo, student & 1 teacher are cheating . . . ooooo . . .



Afterwards, we ended up in Danyang.



oh! Paragliding!


A bridge to leave Danjang and go paragliding (among other reasons).



Danyang Danuri Center (which includes a fishing museum, library, & aquarium--as well as the bus terminal).


Oh, seems like the pilot & passenger.


Rates and times.


Welcome to the aquarium. Check out our flowers and feel welcome!


I guess we were on our way to an Azalea Festival, but no need; the aquarium brought it to us!


Just look at these. . .








whoa, bonsai?!


variety


what? half-n-half!


A natural, personal frame.

 After the flowers, we checked out a 4-D movie . . . about Frankenstein.
Not exactly what I was expecting in an aquarium, but ok.


We asked: pictures are allowed. 


Snake-neck turtle.
Fitting name, right?


I've never seen such a bright frog.

Let's get into the action, shall we?


Wait, was that a sting-ray?




The tunnel.


looking straight up at a school.


Hmm, I wonder how that would go with rice and seaweed . . .


This is a 2-floor tank.



I'm standing on a bench (I took my shoes off, don't worry).


Have I mentioned that I like water?


We discovered this photo-zone.


Do you really think I'd pass this up? C'mon . . .


Wow! We even got to go fishing!
Tommy, show Petro how it's done!


Yes, a picture is a must.


Leaving the fishing area.


Hmm, if you want to have an idea of how it's like to bike on several different routes, you can try here for free!

 And we're back to the flowers . . .







Now, to find this "Rose Tunnel" someone mentioned . . .

Found it!

Wow . . .


Now if I only had a guy . . .

Nah! 

Tommy, you better take a good pic!


Ugh, how does this work?


Back into the tunnel.



Or you can escape the tunnel on one of these side paths/steps back up to the road.



"Rose Tunnel"


the other side.
Can you see how it stretches all the way back? It must be about 1 km long or so.


Now, continuing along the rock face, with the river on the other hand.


This is nice.


What do you think?


The end of the walk, tunnel and all.





Run, Tommy, Run! 


Oh, a windmill.
How random, yet charming.


You can rent bikes!
I couldn't see how much they cost & I forgot the times.



The row of bikes.

On our way back, we were able to capture a beautiful glimpse--at night.
It took me over 5 pictures to get this one, which is my best.



Dodamsambong Peaks

At least I got a decent night shot.



If I was never taken here, I never would have known these places existed. It was great. I wish I can go again!

Well, I need to go to bed now. Tomorrow, Lord-willing, I'll be off to Daegu . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment