Monday, May 26, 2014

Hoengseong Local Elections

Wow, who'd think I'd be able to publish 3 posts on the same day? Definitely not when I was with SDALI!

Living with just a parking lot and a small park between myself and downtown, things can get a little noisy, but not enough to really notice it and complain. These lasts days are NOT that case . . .

We're in local election season. All throughout the country, from Seoul to the tiniest villages, local elections are going down. I'm not sure how many political parties Korea has, but there must be about 5 candidates per party running. 

How is campaigning done in Korea?
I hear the same song played over and over again for about an hour.
You see a bunch of people in each party's uniform standing at places where the most traffic are, bowing and waving to each individual vehicle that passes (if they can).
In the traditional markets (like today) there are several party members--maybe even the candidates themselves--handing out cards, even making small talk to potential voters.
There's someone making a speech as I type this.

Koreans generally do everything they do with everything they have, why would election be any different? 

Let me show you the few moments I was able to capture:


How much propaganda can you see?


At the round-about, heading towards Wonju.


See how some of them bow.


This guy seems to direct the volunteers.


a wide view of the round-about.


The full central round-about.


The round-about in downtown.


I don't know what "5" stands for. The "5th" candidate?
I apologize for my ignorance.


Another candidate making his speech among the propaganda of the other candidates.


All angles are covered.

So yeah, that'll give you an idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment