Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Very spontaneous weekend.

How spontaneous? I decided to make plans for it Friday, after lunch. It all came together.

Included in my parcel from the States was an order I made for a friend of mine in Seoul. Now that I had it, I wanted to give it to her as soon as possible. The timing would've allowed me only 1 hr. at her place. That wasn't going to happen. So they booked a room for me in the institute's guesthouse (or guestroom, since it was on the 3rd floor of the same building they live in) for Fri. night. That's more like it. I arrived around 19:30, delivered the goods, ate with them, talked (mostly with her--she's married) until past midnight. See how the 1-hr.-visit wasn't going to happen?

This guesthouse was one of the nicest ones I've ever stayed in. I'm surprised it was so nice! Then I was informed that one of those in the administrative hierarchy used to live there. That explains everything. It cost 25,000 Won a night ($24.33 USD/ 17.75 Euros), but I think 40,000 would be a good price--but since they already stated 25,000; let's keep it at that!

Went to church at Seoul Main SDALI church for the 1st time since orientation back in late-August 2010. The choir and small orchestra were nice. The special music was truly inspiring.
Had lunch with the same married couple I visited the evening before and chatted some more. Then my 1 friend who lives in Bucheon was in the area and we got to meet up. I went home with her, spent some time with her and her husband doing some last-minute grocery shopping, and had a late dinner at a wonderful Italian restaurant.
Time was getting short. I had to return to the guesthouse and it was almost 23:00. Fortunately I made it to the station on time before the last train arrived (I think the 3rd-last train) that went straight to where I needed to take it. Walked into the room after midnight. Only in Korea . . . I wouldn't do that all by myself in the States . . .

Sunday was Coordinators' Meeting. I took advantage to say "Hi" to my former-co-worker and friend Duke, who's the coordinator at the institute in Jeju Island. We didn't have much time, so to get all the time possible, I went with him all the way to Gimpo Airport.
I've never seen this airport so packed! Oh, that was because the flights to Jeju were cancelled. There was a storm there, so these were just precautions (after the Sewol-ho ferry incident, safety has gone up). It was so bad, the earliest flight he could go on was at 16:30 or so! It was intense.
Well, time to say goodbye, I might as well take the bus from the airport back to Wonju (much closer & convenient at that moment than a train) which took only 2 hrs. 10 min. Pretty good! I arrived home around 21:45 & that was the end of my spontaneous weekend.


*This week, I took pictures of my town. I'll upload them on the next post, if my computer doesn't give me issues.*

No comments:

Post a Comment