Monday, May 5, 2014

From the middle of the golden weekend

Hey, it's the "golden weekend" : that is, Monday and Tuesday here in Korea are national holidays (Monday = Children's Day; Tuesday = Buddha's Birthday). I've had an interesting weekend so far; almost as tiring as my previous weekend.

~Really quick: Last weekend, I went to Gwangju to see a couple of friends. I saw most, but not all. Bummer. It was about 4.5 hrs. there and closer to 4 hrs. back by express bus (each way). Gwangju is a really green city with tons of flowers & trees everywhere. Nature-lovers who like the convenience of a city, Gwangju is for you.~

So, this week was different for the following reasons:
Monday - only day I taught classes; and they were all review.
Tuesday - I desk-warmed. The high school was having their mid-terms, so I didn't teach; but I HAD to be there.
Wednesday - training at a town called Yangyang by the East Sea coast. There from 9 - 16:30; basically a work-day. Better than being at my middle school.
Thursday - May 1st = Korean Labor Day. I was off. I went to Cheonan and visited a few former students I hadn't seen in over a year (more for 1 student). We had a really nice time at lunch and a cafe afterwards.
Friday - Elem. school went to a musical. I desk-warmed all day there. No classes, just had to be there. At least I have my lesson plans ready for Wed. when classes start up again.

Now the weekend part:
Friday night, I went to the Friday night program in SDA language institute in Wonju. When it was over and we were done socializing, I realized the last bus from Wonju to Hoengseong had left. I and 2 other ladies from the institute waited at the city bus stop to be sure, but by a little after 23:00, we decided to call it a night. I spent the night in one of the ladies' apartment. She was really nice and gave me more than I expected. Very hospitable.

Saturday morning, I woke up at 6, got ready & headed out to the same bus stop. My bus came in about 10-15 min. I arrived home, took a shower, had breakfast, got ready, and went out the door. Took the bus from Hoengseong - Wonju - Cheonan - Yesan. To give an idea, I left Hoengseong arounf 9:40 am and arrived at Yesan at 15:00. I finally got to meet and spend time with a lady who was really kind and helpful to me when I was in Cheonan (i.e. she gave me a cell phone and helped set up an account for me). By sundown, I checked out Emart Traders in Cheonan (this lady has a car and she drove me there). Another former student was going to pick me up @ 21:30 and take me to his family's home for the night. I met some nice people at a crepe shop/kiosk inside Y-Mall (if you ever go there, it's across the Cheonan-Asan KTX station, 1st floor of Y-Mall) and we talked for a bit. My student came & picked me up and took me home. His wife and kids were there. His wife was very sweet and helpful. I slept in the kids' playroom.

Sunday, I had breakfast with the family, minus my student as he left early to go to work. Then I walked around the KTX area (not far away). After that, I went over to near Nazarene University to see what had changed & what was the same. I see my favorite cafe and restaurant were gone. Sadness. Next I checked out the new Daiso (like Dollar store, but much better) beside the SeoCheonan SDA Language Institute. Finally, I met one of my other former students. We had lunch together and talked for a while. Afterwards, off to a cafe for bingsu (shaved ice with milk, ice cream, and whatever else these Koreans feel like putting on it: frosted cereal, kiwi, oreo crumbs, bananas, red beans, rice cakes, etc.). We kept on talking til I got the bus back to my student's apartment in order for me to pick up my carry-on and make my way to the bus terminal. Got the ticket, waited & walked around for about an hr., then got on the bus back to Wonju, then back to Hoengseong. Went to bed late last night.

Today (Monday), I have to make up what I'll do, since a good friend of mine who was coming, isn't. He wasn't able to finish everything he needed to finish before the break, so needs to go back now. At least I was able to skype with a friend in Texas. Now, I'll see what's next.

I expect my box--with my camera--to arrive this week. Lord-willing, by Friday I will have my camera and I can finally post pictures on this site. Just a few more days . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment