Friday, July 18, 2014

Jeondongjin /전동진 (13.July)

Since I've gotten used to posting once a week, I feel as though I should apologize for not posting anything last week; being quiet and all.

1st weekend of July (5-6), one of my best friends since college came to spend most of her weekend with me. She teaches in Guri, so not far away. Thing is that she and her husband are moving to Guri. They used to live in Bucheon (with his mother). I'm so glad they can finally get a place of their own where she will have to commute about 5 min. on foot each way, instead of 2 hrs. each way.

Anywho, she needed a break--and since I'm out in the country, she thought my place would be perfect. So she came Friday night and stayed til Sunday morning (they still had to pack and buy things they needed). She says she's almost done now. I'll have to think of a good gift to bring them the next time I see them.

Breakfast, compliment of my friend who loves to cook healthfully. It was so good (for the tongue and the body)!




This past weekend, I visited Jeondongjin, which is just south of Gangneung.
It all started at Wonju train station.

Their pheasants.

Mother Pheasant

Young Pheasants

Man feeding Pheasant Family

Okay, up the stairs to cross the rails and get on the platform.
So it's lop-sided, it still works!

Yeap, all of Wonju's 2 platforms--in 3 languages/alphabets.

There should be no mistake:
Left = Seoul
Right = Gangneung

Inside the Mugunghwa train I took to Jeongdongjin, all 4+ hrs to get there.



I got to see some lovely scenery. For example:
At Chiaksan Station, there was a Buddhist temple just a stone's throw away. The station looked closed, though.
Jecheon Station reminded me of Gwangju Station. Big and the town was definitely not small.
Seokhang Station had several train cars on display, some on top of others. Maybe a museum?
After passing Donghae Station, I saw a Navy compound, golf course, and the sea for the 1st time this trip.
Mangsanghaesuyokjang (망상해수욕장) is also another station near the beach, but I guess not as much as Jeongdongjin.
Anywho, that's just a bit from what I could see on my 4+ hr. train ride.



Here we are, Jeongdongjin Station!

Rail bikes!
You can rent them, but not that day. Don't know why not, other than the ticket office was closed.

See, this is the train station that is nearest a beach/sea in the world--or so they claim.
Yes, that is a cruise ship on the cliff in the background.

Ok, so the next station isn't Gangnueng, but we're not too far away.

Good to know.

Ah, proof this country is a haven for couples. Everywhere you go, just about in every tourist attraction, there's something for couples. Sheesh.

The schedule to the "sea side train" where the seats are arranged in such a way as to have you facing the sea/beach the entire time (facing the window, as opposed to being perpendicular to it).

See? It was closed that day.
Being alone, I wouldn't have gone anyway. It's made to be enjoyed with a friend or more.

Ok, tourist map.
I thought I'd check out this "Hourglass Park" that was just 490 m away.

I could've gone through there, but I didn't. I should've. This is more direct than the round-about way I took.
Lesson learned.

Ok, I thought the color was interesting.

A "Time Museum" train at the Hourglass Park. Didn't go through it, but seems interesting and as hot as an oven.

The hourglass of Hourglass Park.
It's an actual sand hourglass that measures the time of the year. I think it's a bit off for July, though.
It could be bigger inside than how it seems. Wasn't able to investigate much.

A sundial.
Cool.

Panoramic shot of the Hourglass Park + train.

Wow, look at how clear this water is!

Whoa, and look at how steep this beach is!

The "Sun Cruise Resort" at the very bottom is the cruise ship you saw on the cliff a few pictures back (at Jeongdongjin Station).

"Unification Park"
That's my destination, the reason I came here.

Just behind the bus stop.

Just look at that beach.

A ship cafe/restaurant.
How typical.

Alright, I'm here.

Whoa! That's more than what I was expecting!

Times and fees, as well as other random info.

A group of Korean motorcyclists rolled in around the same time I did.

I wondered if they're veterans, just like many of the motor "gangs" I grew up seeing.
Then no, the last war Koreans fought in was the Korean War back in the 1950s. 
These men aren't that old.

Hoist the anchors!

Oh, look at this rope art!

I wonder how long it took to make that.

The sea-side train passing by, just across from the warship.

Oh, I could stare at this for hours.
Add the sea breeze for good measure and I'm sold.

Hmm, a cafe behind these big guns . . . I know one wants to have security/protection, but don't you think this is a little over the top?
Then again, you might as well use what you have at your disposal, right?

Yeah, no kidding!
This is definitely not the place for a tall person who's concerned about bad posture.

Oh, I love this maze.

You know, this reminds me of the shower I had at the dorm at Southern Adventist University.
Only this one is deeper in the wall and wider.

I remember those kinds of computers! I also remember I was in 2nd grade (7 yrs old) when I saw them for the 1st time at my school.

I hope they're closed during a stormy sea.

Kitchen part 1.

I was wondering how they fried on a ship. 
This makes me think of how frying might work on an airplane, if possible.

Stay away from this room. 
Yes Sir.

Seriously?
Really?
C'mon people . . . really . . . 

There's the submarine the government confiscated from North Korean spies.
Or so I was informed.

Looking at the front, from the deck.

Whoa, looks like fun, but I'll stay away.

Did they get an English editor?
It's "Information".
Welcome to Korea.

After the Titanic cardboard cut-out, I half-expected to see Captain Edward J. Smith walk up.

I didn't think I'd see windshield wipers.
Lo and behold, here they are.

You don't need to tell me that.
But I wonder if someone has used this, only to see it doesn't work . . . oh my . . .

The motorcyclists trying out the gun.

Ducking and high stepping are necessary here.

Remember the cafe I mentioned before?
You can see I wasn't kidding.

Decent size with plenty of space.

The "patio"

Ah, those rocks, with guns and the flag.

Ok, that was fun, but I must move on.
But I'll take one more look back.


The souvenir shop.
Shockingly, it was closed.

Another vehicle some North Koreans used to spy on the Southern border--and a little beyond.

Locks.
These are couples who each brought a lock and swore to be "locked" in eternal love with each other.
Or something like that.
This is done in several places here in Korea.

These benches amused me more.

A closer view of said locks.

Off to the submarine!

Hard hats?
There must be a reason ...

The other side of the submarine.

I didn't walk around, but went from one end to the other, from the inside.
This hard hat was a very good idea.

If the ship had low ceilings, this submarine had very low ceilings. Sheesh, they must be really short or not mind having back problems.

This was really fun, though!

The warship from the front, again.

An actual guard tower.
I saw soldiers up there, so it's still in use.

Dangerous and beautiful at the same time.

My ticket. 
The wind blew it out of my hand, but was able to get a picture of it with the zoom at the furthest setting.

I wasn't aware of it, but there was more to this Unification Park:
a plane park!
Just up that hill.

Just to see how far this place is from these 2 known cities.

That looks interesting.

Alright, up the hill I go.
Did I mention it was hot, with high humidity, I forgot to apply sunscreen, and I was running out of water?

Even if I don't read--or can't read--the descriptions for each statue, I still admire the art and craftsmanship.

The countries represented who fought to help the South Koreans in the Korean War.

Very necessary, I'll give it that.

Whoa, look at that.

Nice.

Fighter plane fans, tell me what they are.

Okay, I understand what it's referring to, but it seems as though Japanese tourists should steer clear of this area.

Busts of heroes from older times.

Onward!

Alrighty then.

Korea's version of Airforce One.

Nice view, hey?

Where the president (I believe Park Chung-hee, the current president's father) attended some of his business.

Nice bed.

Ah, there's the bathroom/restroom.
Don't think that air conditioner was originally there, though.

Another view of the plane from slightly elevated ground.

Ok, really elevated ground.

From the top, looking down.

A museum at the top (so higher up the hill from the park).

Nice reception at the entrance.
This is also where the restrooms are.

Tanks and more monuments.

If you know where you need to go . . .


I needed to catch the bus to Gangneung so I can get back home.


A path along a river in Gangneung, behind a bus stop.
I rode the 112 bus from the Unification Park all the way to the end.
No, it didn't lead to the bus terminal as I hoped, but fortunately, a bus that does lead to the terminal does stop here. It took about 20 min, but it came.

First thing I noticed, this was a brand new bus.
Just look at how clean and new it looks!

There were a few things I saw from the bus that I liked, but like in this picture, I wasn't fast enough.
It states: "Surpass yourself, Surprise yourself."
The Korean states "Plus English Institute."

Home Plus, the biggest Korean mart chain that has the most foreign products (they're owned by Tesco).
Oh my! They have a Kraze Burger! I haven't had that in years!

Whew! As you can see, there was a lot to see. I did end up spending the same amount of time on the train as I did exploring til I got to the bus terminal. So I probably won't use the train route again.

Now, not sure if I'll go anywhere this weekend. I've got the District English Camp in Dunnae from Mon. - Wed. with all the other Hoengseong EPIK teachers. We will be staying in the resort the whole time (3 days, 2 nights). Well see how it all goes.

Please, pray for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment