Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Last meals in Korea (2.-3. March)

After saying "adieu" to Hazel, I met Michelle at a café near Hoegi Station. We ended up going to dinner at a restaurant called, "Mr. Chef." Two more friends joined us there and we enjoyed a nice dinner.
 
 
A friend and I shared this salmon salad. It was really nice.
 

Our free dessert (or did it come with our meals?).
 
 
Whoa, March 3rd . . . my last full day in Korea . . . I've been looking forward to this day for such a long time, and now it arrived. It was one of those moments, when you feel that time is passing by too quickly. It's true, I couldn't wait to leave Korea; but it was the joke-of-a-job and everything about it that I really wanted to leave (and the society). The wonderful individuals I've met and established friendships with, I really didn't want to leave. So my friends I was staying with wanted to eat at a very special restaurant in Hapcheon, near Hongdae: "Pizzeria d'oro"

Welcome to Pizzeria d'oro.
 

The brick oven behind the chef and owner of the restaurant.
 

All the chef's certificates, so you know you're being fed by a pro (he graduated from a culinary school in Italy).
 

The restaurant from the outside.
 

Special set: Margarita pizza, pasta, and soda can for 14,800 Won.
Considering the size and quality of the food, that's a great deal!
 

The chef advertising his specialty.
 

More offers.
 

A taste of the indoor wall decorations.
Like being inside an Italian home, eh?
 

Am idea of the pizza. That's eggplant, by the way.
 

They serve other free condiments with the pizza.
 

Mushroom soup with a piece of herb bread.
 

Deep-fried rice and cheese ball (sorry, I forgot the name. If you know it, please comment below!)
 

More where the bread came from.
Just remembering it makes my mouth water . . .
 

Another pizza.
I honestly don't remember the toppings, but I will say this: I don't like pizza. One of the last times I had pizza, I was sick for 2 days. I've barely been able to stand looking at pizza since (both in the States as well as in Korea). I loved the pizza here!
 

Another eggplant pizza.
 

Oooo, dessert pizza: strawberry jam, raspberries, blueberries, and vanilla gelato.
This was wonderful!
 
Seriously, the only negative thing I can say about this place is the poor turnout it's receiving. It's really frustrating to know a restaurant that has so much good and high-quality food being ignored and over-looked by the masses. Sure, it might not suit Korean tastes, but this is authentic. You seriously can taste the authenticity in it. It's wonderful! If you ever go to Seoul, you MUST check this place out! I found 2 other blogs that have pictures about this restaurant (both in Korean) here and here.
 
Well, this is it.
Next post, will be about my 40+ hr. journey from Seoul to Jacksonville, with stops in Vancouver, Montreal, and Orlando. I hope the post won't be too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment