Wednesday, August 9, 2017

The nicest birthday weekend I've had so far

So I turned 31 last month. 
That's kinda sobering.

This was one of the few times I've celebrated my birthday with a couple of friends.
It was not the first time I was with friends on my birthday, but it was one of the few in which we celebrated my birthday together--at least, from what I can remember. I'm getting older, so my memory is not like it used to be.

I went up to Seoul on Friday after school. Once in Seoul, I went straight to my friend's apartment in northern Seoul. This friend was my Religion student my first term in Korea, 7 years ago . . . She was in her third trimester of her pregnancy at that time. That baby will start going to school in March . . . Whoa.

So my friend, her husband, and I took a few hours to catch up. Afterwards, the accumulated fatigue from the week kicked in, and we went to sleep in our respective rooms.

In the morning, I saw their girls. Oh. My. Word. Have they grown!
So while the dad spent the day with his kids as an ideal father, my friend joined me as we went to meet a mutual friend who was visiting from The States. We met in Sinchon, ate and caught up in a vegan bakery/cafe, then went out for a walk. We were going to explore a flea market they usually have during the weekends, but we were met with something different . . .

You are entering the Water Festival!

Entrance to the Festival

Apparently, there was a water festival going on. Considering how hot it's been getting here (ridiculous), that was a genius idea. We decided to wander around and get a feel for it--while trying to not get (very) wet.
Utter craziness.

They agreed this was a good idea.
About a half-kilometer of the street was completely blocked off for the people to dance, get wet, and get others wet. There was a narrow passage to the side where regular pedestrians could pass amidst threats of water. We got a few drops, so we did not escape untouched.

At the middle was a DJ (or 2?) pumping the masses and keeping the hype going.
The live DJ on his high altar, surrounded by speakers and water cannons.

To get an idea of how it was.

None of us knew about this. The one friend was taking it all in. The other was getting into it without wanting to get wet. I was shocked and felt completely out of place. I'm sure it was a lot of fun, but I just wasn't mentally prepared for it--especially the music's volume! I don't remember being so close to music that sounded that loudly. Remember, I'm a quite person who treasures my privacy and peace. Yet here I was, in the middle of loud chaos I did not expect. I'm actually surprised I stayed for as long as I did.

Shew, I'm really getting old.

Two wonderful friends and I.
Ah, in said vegan bakery/cafe, the topic of birthdays came up, and that was when my friends discovered my birthday was the next day. Then the friend I stayed with contacted her husband and prepared a surprise celebration for me at their home that night.

It was so sweet (literally)!
They ordered fried chicken (as any true carnivore friend would) and as things were dying down, the husband brought out an ice cream cake--and the family started singing "Happy Birthday" to me (including the 2 cute little girls)! I felt so loved!
This was also my first ice cream cake. Ever, if I'm not mistaken (remember what I wrote about my memory at the beginning of the post?). That moment was precious.


Come Sunday, my birthday.
Just like the day before, friend and I go to spend more time with visiting friend. Getting off at Konkuk Station/건대입구역 (Konkuk University Station) exit 3, we found this interesting set-up...
Welcome to Common Ground
So this is the largest shopping mall in the world--made of shipping containers.
Interesting, it truly was.

Panoramic view from the open air area on the third floor. 

After walking around a bit, we ended up having lunch there. We ate at "Sobang Life" on the 3rd floor. Here's the website for more info (unfortunately, only in Korean).
We all ordered the same thing. Truly a good--and healthy decision.


Walking through the 1st floor, making our way to Dore Dore cake cafe, we spotted a DJ in a smaller shipping container.

Seriously, I kid thee not. See for yourself.

Dore Dore cafe is at the bottom left of the picture.
Both friends agreed to treat me, so they let me choose and you can see it below.

My red-velvet cake with legit Oreos.

That was huge!
I really liked that the frosting wasn't so sweet. It also had the consistency of whipped cream, very light. That's EXACTLY how I like my cake frosting.


Hi there.

Unfortunately, both had to leave and I had 3 hours to kill before catching my bus back home. I looked desperately for a water pitcher with filter (like Brita), but in vain. At least I was able to pass by Lotte World Tower, the tallest building in South Korea, at Jamsil Station.
It is 555 meters (123 floors) tall. It's the tallest building in the OECD countries and the 5th tallest in the world. Their official website offers more info, or you could always check out what Wikipedia says.
I just regret not going up to the observatory somewhere up there.
On second thought, maybe it's better that I didn't go. There were literally hundreds of people there. I'm not claustrophobic, but conditions were ripe to drag me to that point.
I'll try again someday. Hopefully, soon.
Lotte World Tower

No comments:

Post a Comment