Sunday, February 2, 2020

Weekend in Ulaanbaator_Sightseeing and Shopping Edition

There is quite a bit of sightseeing, and shopping one can enjoy in Ulaanbaatar.

How much history do you think a country dating back to the 3rd century BC can have? Have you heard of Ghengis Khan? How about the Mongol Empire? Did you know the Mongol Empire was the largest empire in history? There are quite a few museums to see in the city (I'd almost argue that the country outside the capital can be its own open-air museum).
I went to the main square where you can pay your respects to Ghengis Khan, wandered in the National Museum of Mongolia, and passed by a dinosaur museum. The National Museum of Mongolia had some English text, but don't expect to understand absolutely everything. Still worth a visit.

 Sukhbaatar Square

Sukhbaatar Square is where you can come face-to-face to Ghengis Khan himself (the statue).
This is a large square.



Yes, this city has several skyscrapers too.

I came in time to see a wedding party taking their photos with the great Khan himself.

Of course, this language nerd has to take (and share) as many pictures of this script as possible.

Again, this space is HUGE.
Watch out for people coming up to sell you stuff!

 National Museum of Mongolia

The National Museum of Mongolia was right beside Sukhbaatar Square.

I think I had just missed a school field trip tour.
Hooray for fantastic timing!

This is quite meaningful.

I hope the plaque is clear enough to read.

 Central Museum of Mongolian Dinosaurs

I actually never visited the Central Museum of Mongolian Dinosaurs, but I did walk by it a couple of times as I went to Luna Blanca Vegan Restaurant.

The architecture is what attracted me.
See the dinosaur escaping?


I don't consider myself to be a big shopper, but I enjoyed looking around the shops in Ulaanbaatar. Most of the items are either locally made or from local materials (or both)! Consider the exchange rate, and even I got a little carried away.


State Department Store

The State Department Store is one of the biggest department stores (and tourist shops) in the capital.
Go to the top floor (6? or 7?) for souvenirs.
This is also where I got my crazy cheap SIM card. Excellent value!
Crossing the street head-on to that department store.
Crossing the street in general in this city can be quite wild.


Wait, what? What are The Beatles doing here?
See the department store in the background? Now you know where to find them.

 Mary and Martha Mongolia

Mary and Martha Mongolia shop is famous for its fair and ethical trading between local artisans and customers. Their prices are a little higher (by local standards). However, you can shop for your souvenirs here with a clean conscience.

Coming from up the street

Facing the store

In case you were wondering...

I just scanned one room with backpacks, coin purses, and handbags. Just look at those designs! Can you believe they are all handmade?


I went a little crazy in this shop. I bought several bags of soap samples made of animal fat, charcoal, and other materials, a couple of leather thimbles; a coin purse; and even a purely cashmere poncho. All of that cost $47.73 USD!

Don't worry, there are enough shops even in the airport, in case you don't find (or forget to look for) anything in the capital. This city/country can really turn me into a shopper (says the self-proclaimed "non-shopper.").

No comments:

Post a Comment