Friday, March 4, 2011

A new term has come; and with it, a few changes.

First, I am the new coordinator. This means, I am in charge of the foreign teachers in my institute. I found out about this change when it was too late for me to decline (by about 2 weeks). I am not amused. At all.

I've had a few challenges already, but with God's ever present help, they've been settled. May He stay with me--or more importantly, may I never wander from Him.


Thulie has returned to South Africa. Thula has come to take the vacant spot in our institute. Thula also hails from South Africa. She's a joy to have. We're getting along very well. Hopefully, this term will not be as bad as I've imagined.


Anyway, this past term break, I didn't go anywhere or do anything extravagantly special. I did invite friends and former students to a special outing on Tuesday, March 1.

Destination: The Independence Hall of Korea.

Reason: This memorial commemorates the fighting spirit of Korea when it came under Japanese domination. One of several independent movements against the Japanese happened in Cheonan on March 1, 1919--92 years ago. This is why I thought it was fitting to go there on this day.

There were a few setbacks. Some of my friends arrived late, the 1 former student who could attend was late, the bus was beyond full, and most of my friends had to leave early. Also, there is so much to see there, we should have arrived as soon as it opened in the morning (I'm not kidding!). It was also a cold, rainy day. For a moment, it even snowed. I would've taken more pictures, but the lighting wasn't good, my hands were freezing, and most of my friends were in a crunch for time.

God willing, I will return on a warmer day and spend the day there--with someone/some people who can translate or explain things for me . . . and take more and better pictures.


Below are the ones I have taken.



The entrance to the the Independece Hall of Korea.




The entrance building with a field of flags.





In case you were wondering: yes, I'm in Korea.

The sign explains the symbolism of the flags.



After those who needed to leave left, this was all that was left of the group: Arron (friend from orientation), Kate (the only former student who could attend), and yours truly.

Check out the differences in height!


I apologize for not posting more, but I don't have much to post; picture-wise or idea-wise. Just know that I'm still alive and still breathing. I have my good days and my bad days; but I will not give up until my time is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment