Thursday, March 31, 2011

Solo Seoul Mini-Excursion (27. March)

Hi people.

On Sunday, March 27, I went to an orientation at the Main Institute in Seoul. I was not impressed. Instead of leaving immediately, I wanted to buy some craft supplies. I went to Dongdaemun (the only place I knew of), only to find the place was closed. So, I just decided to roam around a bit on the Cheongycheon stream.

I didn't make any plans with anyone, so I went alone.


Of course, my camera was on my person--and it was used quite a bit.


Waterfalls, what can I say?





At the end of the Cheongycheon, I arrived to Gwanghwamun Square. Ever since I saw it in the distance during orientation (in August), I've wanted to go over and look around. So on this day, I decided to get a taste of the place.



Admiral Yi, guarding King Sejong's plaza.




A model of the turtle ship, Admiral Yi's genius invention.




With this man on my side, I feel protected.




Something was going on, but I had no idea what. I didn't even bother to ask.





King Sejong! (1397-1450)




This man is more loved in Korea than I believe King David is in Israel.


Thanks to this man, education was opened to almost everyone and living conditions had improved for all--including servants. Plus, thanks to him, we have Hangul--the Korean alphabet.





Under this statue is a museum dedicated to King Sejong.

This is the entrance from under the statue.



Live Classical Korean music!




Ugh, so much to see, not enough time.

Farewell, King Sejong. I hope to visit you again soon!




On the way home, I took the subway (as usual). At Singil station (pronounced, "shin-gil"), I saw a different kind of gate. Doesn't it look like marble/granite?




Oh well, I thought it was interesting.




Whoa . . . tomorrow is April . . . wasn't New Years' just last week?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment