Friday, March 8, 2013

Last Days in Cheonan--again (2.-6.March)

Hi. I'm already in Seoul. Just a few more days and I'll be gone.
Before I came to Seoul, I spent a few days in Cheonan. Basically, I have a "Farewell Tour;" half in Cheonan, the other half in Seoul. Let me share a little bit about my tour in Cheonan:


First, 1 student and I went out for lunch. It's a typical Korean style restaurant in which everyone sits on the floor and the food is set on a short table. One always takes their shoes off, step up to the eating area, and usually sit on a mat or two. But this place had something I've never seen before:
These are legless chairs!
I'm so glad 'cause I need some kind of back support.


After lunch, we went to visit a classmate of hers--who just had her 2nd child over 3 months ago.

Aren't they precious?


That night, I got together with a few other students and friends for dinner.

These two appear to be in a serious conversation.


These two are catching up.


After a few hours, here we are in front of the apartment I was staying in.
Just like in the end of Dec. last year . . . 


Another day, just randomly walking around, I find this building: 
I saw the golden arches and thought, "oh, another McDonald's."
Ugh, wait. No.
If you can read the Korean, it says something like: "McJunald's." Mekju is another kind of Korean alcoholic beverage.
Basically, this is a bar. Go figure.


Ah yes. On Monday, two of my former students invited another teacher and I to lunch. This place was awesome! I could tell there was no way I could ever afford a place like this on my salary.


Here we are, plus a souvenir given to my friend and I.


I even had the chance to pay a short overnight visit to a friend of mine in Daejeon. I haven't seen her all year long--actually, longer. I was really sorry to leave the next day, but time was short. She even teased me of taking me to a really nice place, but then leaving 'cause there really wasn't enough time to explore it. I can see what she's trying to do: trying to get me back to Daejeon (at least Korea) . . .
(apologies for no pictures. I didn't take any during that time. I was too busy living to stop to take pictures)


The day I left, I met one more student. She took me out for breakfast and lunch. We were able to catch up and share a few more good moments. For lunch, she took me to a Korean restaurant. Check-out the picture below: 
The black bowl and the metallic bowls (for rice) were the main dishes. All the others are side dishes. Do you know how much this is per person? Can you believe it? Only 6,000 Won (about $5 or 3 Euros). All these side dishes are free. This is why Koreans eat (Korean food) out a lot; they're pretty cheap.
I'm really going to miss this.

No comments:

Post a Comment