Thursday, October 2, 2014

Gyeongju (28.Sept.)

I made a spontaneous decision to go to Gyeongju last week. I arrived Saturday night and left Sunday evening. Some highlights:


The setting sun from Hoengseong Bus Terminal.


Where my bus will be parked for me (and others) to board.


My confirmation printout beside the guesthouse's visitor's book.


The main lobby area of the guesthouse.
All the rooms were upstairs, as well as one half-way up the stairs.
For more information, go here.


Sign from the outside.


Guesthouse from the outside, on the alley.


Same alley, a Hanok (traditional Korean house) cafe.
Didn't go in. If I'm back again, I will.


I got a taxi from the Intercity Bus Terminal to Gyeongju Post Office (the biggest one, not the only one). I walked down the street to the right of the post office. Walk down that promenade until you see these signs to your right.


This is the alley's name,


Gyeongju Post Office is right across this huge KEB bank. Can't miss it.


Shilla (one of Korea's 3 kingdoms, which eventually united the entire peninsula) kings' tombs.


Maps and signs everywhere.
Major tourist town.
All school kids have field trips to this city, that's how big of a deal it is.


Egypt has pyramids; Korea has mounds.


Panoramic view of the park.

Clearer view of the tombs.


Hooray for info.


Cheomseongdae


I really wanted to see this.


Ok, saw it. Now time to move on.


Lots of things are nearby.


Tour mobile of some type going into a Hanok (Korean traditional house) village.


Everywhere,


At the end of this lane is a cafe I went to.


I like the inside very much.
I'm sure a termite would too.


Yay, bridge!
Too bad it's closed for renovations (it looked that way).


The same cafe from the other side.


Roar.


Very fruitful Persimmon tree.


I believe they're called "Rape seed flowers."


Nice landscape work.


There's a "lovers' maze" with Cheomseongdae in the background.


This had a video (15 min.?) about how Gyeongju would have looked like during its golden era, as capital of the Shilla Kingdom, and then of the United Kingdom.




Just beyond that gate. You can see a few roofs.


The main museum.


A model of Gyeongju during its said golden era.


Behind the main museum.
I find them impressive.


Next stop.


Bulguksa entrance.


More info.


Bulguksa, behind all the trees.


I really liked this tree, and how it's supported.


A somewhat clearer view of Bulguksa.



And actually somewhat handicapped-friendly!


It's just a complex of temples and more temples.


Little piles of stones.
I understand it's for reciting prayers?


The stairs are quite steep.


The main, larger courtyard.


Reconstruction/archaeological preserve.


Not too clear what's inside. It was closed to the public.


Same courtyard.


Fresh mountain/spring water.


Not far is a grotto where you can see a huge sitting Buddha (like in the picture on the left). I was told at the guesthouse that it's closed, undergoing renovation. So this picture will have to suffice.


Walking towards the bus terminal, I come across this tomb park.


Not many people would do this in cemeteries back in the States.


Something very interesting about this mound.
Below is the plaque in front of it:

Who knew?


The "tomb park".


Ugh, is this supposed to be "Sleepless in Seattle", but actually trying to obey the copyright laws?
If you've been in Korea, you will know that there is no such thing as copyright laws. You can find a New York Yankees cap absolutely anywhere and probably for about the equivalent of $2. It's "interesting" (I'll leave the definition up to you).


You can rent scooters.


Gyeongju City Tour--if this is for the city bus tour, forget it. You don't really need it--and it's about $20. Just walk around with a map and you'll be fine.


How I came and left.


Looks kind of run-down.


I had time to kill, so I walk across the bridge near the bus terminals and enjoyed this view.


Coming back to the terminal, I was attracted by this,


Let's get the entire panorama!


So that was my 1-day, 1-night trip in Gyeongju.

No comments:

Post a Comment