Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Few Interesting Items

There are a few things in the guesthouse we women are staying in that serve to remind us how we are most definitly in Korea . . .

The half-bathroom downstairs. Look at where the sink comes up to my mid-thighs . . .
I feel like if I use this sink, I should kneel.
The one upstairs in the main bathroom isn't much higher . . .


I did not know Seoul had major sewage issues, although with about 15 million people here, I guess that makes sense.





Didn't know this part about electricity in Korea either.




A few other reminders as well as our Orientation schedule.





Look at this tube of toothpaste! Even the toothpaste in Korea is LG!!




So, who wants to play with the thermostat?





Say "hello" to the only source of air conditioning available to my roommate and I. The A/C unit is downstairs, so the cool air does not come to the upstairs half of the house (where most of our rooms are). The days are hot and humid (at least 36ºC or 96ºF) everyday . . . and the nights too. Our room doesn't even have a vent for air to enter!

It's moments like these I have to remind myself, "I am a missionary; I am here to serve, not to be served. If I want comfort, the mission-field is not the place to find it!"




Oh, but it would be nice to have this A/C unit upstairs so the cool air can go through the entire house.




There's mandatory recycling here as well.




I guess tapwater is not recommended.



Just a few things from where I'm staying that I thought I'd share.


Oh yes, I almost forgot! The Korean lesson was intense! We were taught several words and phrases, as well as the alphabet and how it works, all in a space of 3-4 hours. This is not at all enough! If we want to learn more, it will be on our own. NOT excited about that, although I am determined to learn.

I'm sorry, but there has been so much that happened, I am not able to report it all. What I can say is that the church is on the 4th floor of the office building and it is very nice. The services were both in English and Korean. There were clubs as well as Sabbath school going on, although they were a kind of Sabbath school in themselves. After lunch, there were afternoon clubs and I went to 1 to see how it was run, so I can get an idea of what I should do when I have to run a club in the institute they'll send me.

Vespers last night was pretty exciting with lots of really good musical numbers; especially from a quartet/quintet called "Pilgrim's Quartet". These guys' singing really impressed me!



Ok, I need to go. Tomorrow morning is when the training will begin to get intense and then we're going on an excursion for the entire afternoon/evening. So, I bid you a good evening and will post more pictures and news soon, God-willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment