Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Chuseok Holiday Tour__Day 3 (1.Oct)

Ever since I arrived to Jeju, I've heard many people talking about Udo, a small island off the northeastern corner of Jeju (near Sunrise Peak, now 1 of the 7 natural wonders of the world). I've wanted to see for myself why praises of this place was on everyone's lips whenever I mentioned it. The day after Chuseok, 2 students and I were able to go and check it out. To make things even more interesting, this was the first time for each of us to go to Udo. Who knew?


The beautiful weather.



The port . . . where it all begins . . .



The ferry that took us over.



On said ferry, looking out to the west.



Seongsan Sunrise Peak. I've been there back in May 12.



Thanks Jack!
He caught me.


The 3 adventurers.
What a great crew.


Here is where a lot of my stitched photos begin.
This is a view of the shore (with Sunrise Peak to the far left) from the ferry.



Now, a view of Udo from the ferry.



Seagulls, never too far away.



The shore of the white sand beach.



Coming to the port.



Nice welcome sign.
I feel welcomed.



Getting off the ferry.



ATVs for rent! I would've but they were a bit over our budget.
Next time, . . .



A view from the southwestern most point of Udo (stiched pictures; sorry for bad quality).



Udo, looking at Sunrise Peak.



Lots of people here. It was a beautiful day.
Now, we have to go up that hill in the background.



Yay! I love it here!



Whoa.



Hey, what's that strange round thing in the water?



Oh! It's a submarine!
Yeah, they've got submarine tours.




This was a not so good stitch, but I hope you still get an idea of what I saw.
Basically, the entire island.
I've heard you can walk the circumference in about 4 hours.



I LOVE THIS PLACE!!!
(Thanks Jack)



Yeap, we came from there (on a tour bus).


This is my 1st time riding a horse. Behold the proof given by Jack (thanks again for these pics!):


How hard can this be? I've seen enough Westerns to know (or so I thought).
Wait, do you seriously think I need this huge stone to get on a horse . . . oh wait, I am kinda tall, aren't I . . . was this supposed to be only for kids?
Oh well.



What the heck have I gotten myself into . . . 



Don't go faster!!!
I've got a lot to learn about horse-back riding.


Next stop: the lighthouse.

Model of the Pharos Lighthouse in Egypt (1 of the 7 wonders of the ancient world).



Hey, I still love Germany. Don't judge.

A model of Dokdo. Islands that belong to Korea, even though Japan insists otherwise.



Observe



Lighthouse



A cluster of traditional tombs.



The 3rd major stop (according to the tour bus). This is where the small black sand beach is.



Behold, said black sand beach.



Part of the lunch menu.



Udo specialty: peanut ice-cream
Udo is known for its peanuts.



 So, what do you think?



Looking across the black sand beach, after crossing it and having our lunch.



Hi guys!
(how to cross, how to cross . . . )



Joann was here.


Last stop: the white sand beach (near the port).

Lovely, is it not?


Thanks Jack, one more time, for these last two pics.
I could easily stay here for hours.



Hey, my shoes aren't water-proof.



Saw this from the ferry. Remember?




Gives a whole new meaning to "let's drive down to the sea!"



Ah, the port is near. There's the welcome sign.



Shelter? Maybe for the women divers . . . don't really know.



These mirrors are on every corner. They basically have 1-way streets on this island. It's pretty small. Although they can still manage to drive 2 cars on a road built for 1.



See this stone wall? It's very windy, but the stone don't fall over. The gaps and pores in the volcanic rocks help the wind blow right through, without toppling it over.



That's how we got here; that's how we're leaving.



2 other options for getting around Udo (besides your own car, tour bus, and on foot).



Ah, and don't forget the scooters!



Back on the ferry, going back to Sunrise Peak.



Just to get an idea of how it's like on this ferry.



An actual woman diver at work!
There were 2, but when I saw them, the 1st was going under.



Back to the harbor.



A broader view.



Hmm, not many people coming back this time.



We stopped here for dinner. I forgot where it is, but they've got chicken shabu-shabu. My only regret is that I wasn't hungry; nor was I able to really enjoy the meal. With a few bites, I was stuffed. I've gotten weak.



Here's the name and phone number of the place if you're interested. I seriously doubt they can speak any language besides Korean.



Beautiful sky on top of an unknown oreum.



Jeju Starlight Park and Planetarium.
We didn't feel like going beyond the lobby. I guess we all had stuff to do and were tired.



The planets sticking out from the ground.



The view from the park, down to the parking lot and Jeju City.
Love the sky.


Well, that was the day I (FINALLY) went to Udo.

No comments:

Post a Comment