Sunday, October 7, 2012

Chuseok Holiday Tour__Day 1 (28.Sept.)

Wow, I can't believe it's taken me this long to upload this post! Well, many apologies.
This was during our Chuseok break. Chuseok is the Korean Thanksgiving. It's also 1 of the 2 most important holidays in Korea. It involves people reuniting with their families for food and bonding--even if they have to travel through the entire country to accomplish this. And travel they do . . . 
This is my 3rd Chuseok in Korea and I must say, Chuseok in Jeju is much easier than in mainland. Most of the people live here and most have their entire families here. You won't spend more than 2 hours traveling from one place to another (>6 hours on mainland, depending on where you go). This kind of explains why, for a foreigner, Chuseok is the best and worst time to go traveling. Best because it's a long break (had 6 days!), worst because either everyone is traveling or most things are closed.

Thank goodness this Chuseok was different. Let's begin with Day 1. 



First stop: The Mysterious Road

Where the Mysterious Road ends. See the sign in the background? That's where it begins.



Why "Mysterious Road"?
Look at the picture. Is the car going up or down?



My students who took me there became my photographer as well (whenever you see me).



It looks like the road is going up, but it's actually going down.
See the water? It looks like it's going "uphill", but gravity still rules here.



Most people drive slowly here (in neutral) to get the total mysterious effect.



I was told the optical illusion is due to the trees and the way they are growing.
Can you see it?



Second Stop: Jeju Museum of Art


Within walking distance from the Mysterious Road is Loveland (1 of Jeju's 4 Sex museums. Remember, this is a popular honeymoon destination) and Jeju Museum of Art. We're going to the Museum of Art.



A closer look at the sign.



Yours truly at the museum (rather be here than next-door).



There's a cafe inside, but I like the man-made pond in the front.



Same pond on the other side.



I don't understand why it appears sideways. The original is normal . . .
anyway, I thought the statement was well written.



Here's something that didn't heed the sign.



My student talking to the lady at the main reception area. Check out the table--Jeju style, with volcanic rocks.


Clouds and Rocks (dunno if that's the real name; I just made this up).



Looking up at the rocks, seeing the "clouds" above it.



A new exhibition! . . .
. . . with prohibited photography.



I took 3 shots of the following windows. Which do you think is ok?







Third Stop: Halla Arboretum


Too much hiking . . .



Map of the area.



Walking trails marked with a carpet of weaved ropes. Quite comfortable, I must say.



Removing the old rubber path with the rope one.



The view from the top of the hill on Halla Arboretum. Looking towards Jeju City.


Alright! Day 1 over, and I have a few more to share . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment