Thursday, September 4, 2014

Little Sunday Excursion with a friend and her daughter (31.Aug.)

With the beginning of a new semester, things get pretty busy and just pile on top of themselves. However, I was able to have a nice time away for a bit this past weekend.

On Saturday, the foreign teachers of EPIK Hoengseong had a potluck get-together in honor of our illustrious coordinator's birthday. Other friends came from near and far to give their best wishes and socialize. Afterwards, we went to a noreabang (singing room/karaoke). I don't think I've expressed how much I love singing--even when I go off key.
After that, most went on to a round of games, but I had to call it a night. I was tired and needed to wake up early the next day--to see a friend I haven't seen in a while.

Walking around Dongdaemun, I realized that there were plenty of Russian here.


By the Dongdaemun History & Culture Park.


You can take the Seoul City Bus Tour from here (this is one of its stops)!


This man was feeding the pigeons from his hand. I failed at getting a picture, but I think he was not liking my taking a picture of him . . .
. . . well, in a sense, he now has an idea of how I feel, as a foreigner in Korea.


Just look at this architecture!


I believe this is "Museum 1", not James Bond's headquarters.


Archaeological remains at the center of modern/space-like architecture.
The history is at the very center of the future.



Off to Gwanghwamun Square, to find a festival going on.
I saw the name "Sejong", so I'm guessing it was in his honor.

Kids in huge plastic bubbles, being pushed and spun around by their parents.


Oh, I wish I could fit . . . 


This seems like one of those things the parents may see as just punishment, but the kids see as delightful fun.


". . . You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby, right round round round . . ."


My friend and her daughter.
She thought her daughter might get scared, so she didn't push the ball so hard.
Her daughter actually liked it! (I would too)


Trying to capture the moment, without stopping it.


That was fun, now what's next?


As you can see, Gwanghwamun Square was packed with activities and people.
By the way, all this was free.


National Art Museum--steps.


Let's learn to play this drum.


She didn't want to leave!


Now, the gong.


Am I doing it right?
Yes you are.


This was really nice. I'm amazed at how "not-afraid" she was of me. She tried speaking to me several times during the day--in what she thought was English. It was cute.


I'll be spending the weekend with them in a few weeks.

But come Saturday, I'll be off to Japan! Get ready for several posts containing my pictures from Japan. Yay! Just 2 more days . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment