Wednesday, November 12, 2014

안동 / Andong (9.Nov.)

I've been wanting to do this for a while. Now, I finally did.

I went to Andong.
Andong is a city basking in Korean culture from way back in the day. They have a famous mask dance festival around October every year. They've got a famous (Hahoe) folk village and many other things that contribute to Korean folklore. I find it a charming city.

I took the train from Wonju straight to Andong.
(By the way, this was when I found out that there are trains from Wonju all the way down to even Busan--although NOT Busan Station).


Wonju has its own railbike park!
You "bike" these vehicles on train tracks (don't worry, trains don't travel on those).


Now, in Andong . . .


A street sign just across from Andong Station.



Tourist Info just outside and to the left of the Station.



Ancient pagoda within sight from the station.


THEY HAVE LOVING HUT!!!
. . . too bad it was closed.


The Digital Museum of Traditional Culture.
3,000 Won.
Recommend it.


Downstairs to the museum.

They have lots of interesting stuff about both Andong and different aspects of Korean traditional culture--all digitized.


Here's a demonstration of winter.

Push a button . . .


Same place but in the Autumn.

Push another button . . .


Same place, but in the Spring.

I did push the button to see Summer, but it didn't come out well in the picture. Sorry.


Then we go outside.


Haven't seen a tree like this very often.


Bell (inside).

Some kind of promenade/food street.


Looking into a market.


Andong Gu Market, to be precise.


Downtown Andong, looking towards the direction of the train station (on the right, a block or two down).


Cute overpass murals.


Walking towards Wolyeong Bridge/Andong Dam.


A cluster of traditional hanoks (Korean houses) on the far side of the river.


A marvelous 2.23 km path along a mountain to Wolyeong Bridge.


Some signs that I can't help but wonder . . .


At least the path is nice.





"Exceed?"
You mean, "Stay out"?


Oh, the colors.


Oh? A boat ride!


Now we're heading towards Wolyeong bridge.


The map of the mountain path and the bridge. I walked it all.


There were stops along the way. This shows the distance between each stop and the two bridges.


Something else was up there.
Was too stunned with the colors down here to go up.


Layers of colors in just one tree.





Wolyeong Bridge.
Ok, what's so great about this bridge?
It's the longest wooden/pedestrian bridge in Korea.
You know how I love bridges!



From one observatory deck/branch on the bridge--I'm not half-way through yet.


At the other 3/4 section of the bridge, looking back to where I came from, and the other boat coming in.


A little more info about this bridge.


Ok, at the other side on firm land, looking back at the bridge and where I walked from.


I can't get over these colors!


Hooray for stone walls and timers!


Natural confetti


The golden leaf saying, "Here I am!"


Back into Andong, just meandering my way before catching my train back to Wonju.


What's a promenade without a cute, fake creek?


WHOA!
I want to eat there!
You know what would make it better? If the water was drinkable.


Mammoth Bakery.
The size--and the line of people wanting to get in--gives it the name.


An artist at work.


How's the progress?


Yes, this is the line inside the Mammoth Bakery.
I wonder if they have any bread left?


Center of downtown.


Who knew this was a public restroom?


Sheesh, Korea is worse than Valentine's Day to remind me that I'm single!


Andong Station.


A small neighbor hood on a hillside, with painted murals.


The sun is setting on my time in Andong--and eventually, Korea.

I really liked this town. The autumn foliage and Wolyeong Bridge were themselves worth the trip (for me).

Now, what's--where's next?

No comments:

Post a Comment