Thursday, November 27, 2014

Back to Daejeon/대전 (22.-23. Nov.) *minus pictures*

So I did something I rarely do: go out for the weekend without my camera.

Do I regret it? A little, but only a little.

Nov. 22 was my friend's husband's birthday. Also, a group of us went to see the group leader's kids he used to work with at an orphanage in Daejeon. They had a concert. Couldn't say a lot about it, since we were late and missed the 1st half, but the 2nd half I really enjoyed. There was a photo-shoot afterwards, in which we were photographed (I REALLY didn't want to. I didn't know anyone and no one knew me: what was the point?! Publicity? Sheesh . . .). Afterwards, it was dinner at a Mexican restaurant called "Takorea".
Takorea has the BEST Mexican food I've ever had in Korea! Also helps that the owner is Mexican, the cooks and staff are Mexican as well. The menu might not be very big, but it's got just as many vegetarian options as non-vegetarian. I'm told you can't get that in Seoul! It was great having real Mexican food, the flavors I remember from the States, a ton of other expats, and speaking Spanish. I honestly completely forgot I was in Korea. I kid thee not. I would say this restaurant alone is worth the trip down to Daejeon--oh, and the prices were decent too. Oh, and since we had a birthday boy, he was given a Mexican sombrero to wear and they gave him a complimentary virgin tequila (we ordered it that way, since he doesn't drink). LOVED IT!!!

After that, a few rounds of either sharp-shooting, batting cage, shooting hoops, punching/kicking whatever had to be punched/kicked for points. Then it was to the "Popcorn" Multibang. This is a place where you can have karaoke, Wii games, snacks, movies, and other stuff. It was nice and clean. We got to sing a little and then played a several Wii sports. This was my 2nd time doing so. Great fun!

After finding a hotel to spend the night, some of us met the next morning (the leader and his 2 students who came along left for Seoul in the morning) and hung out, explored, and made it back to Takorea for lunch. Then it was back to the bus terminal. I left 1st, having a ticket that would take me straight to Hoengseong--or so I thought.

The bus had a few stops between Deajeon and Chuncheon. It stopped in Cheongju and Wonju. At Wonju, I expected the bus to go straight through Wonju and into Hoengseong--as usual. This one didn't. It got back on the highway, heading for Chuncheon. I was 1 of 5 people left on the bus, and I guess they were either headed for Hongcheon or Chuncheon, but I needed to get off at Hoengseong. Heck, that's what I paid for and the ticket counter sold it to me. The bus driver remembered me (only foreigner on the bus, I wonder how. . . ) and was trying to ask me where I was going, to which I replied Hoengseong Terminal. He went on and on about something which I couldn't understand. But I did make out the word "taxi".
What? Are you not going to take me to Hoengseong Terminal, or even Hoengseong for that matter? I just stared at him, since I didn't understand. He tried to explain, but I just didn't know the vocabulary he was using. I tried asking, "so, you're NOT going to Hoengseong?". A simple "yes" or "no" would've been enough. Nope, he had to give me a paragraph--and I understood none of it. So I continued to stare without understanding. I think he decided to turn back into Hoengseong, if anything, to get rid of me. Fine by me. He did eventually drop me off near the terminal--no, he didn't go in. Apparently, he's never been to Hoengseong before, seeing how he took the small roads and not the normal roads the buses take to get there. Either way, I got home without too much drama and without losing it--because GOD gave me an extra dose of patience. Boy did I need it!

So, that was my nice weekend in Daejeon, plus a little hint of a scary story to finish. 
Whoopee.

Oh, Happy Thanksgiving, Americans! Don't get too crazy with Black Friday tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment