Friday, June 15, 2018

Back to the Hong Kong Airport (22. May)

My final morning in Hong Kong.
Alas, all good things must come to an end (at least, on this planet).

However, to catch my plane, I had to wake up around 5:30 or so. At least I'd leave when the sun was shining (and radiating its heat) in all its strength into the apartment.

I had a scary moment from late the previous night until that morning. I didn't have enough on my Octopus card for my bus ride directly to the airport. I also didn't have enough cash. I was just short a few dollars if I were to combine my money with my octopus card balance. I had a Visa credit card with me, so I could go to any ATM and get a cash withdrawal--only I forgot my PIN.

I believe I couldn't pay for the bus with my credit card, and a taxi would've been an arm and a leg.

This was bad (and my fault for not being more financially responsible). What to do?
I contacted my Couchsurfing host. I've heard one can still use their octopus card if it has insufficient funds. I wanted to confirm that with him. He did and added that I could take as much money as I needed from a specific drawer. "Don't be shy, just take what you need."

What?

Did I read that correctly?

OH, MY WORD!

THANK YOU SO FREAKIN' MUCH!!!



Alright, I only needed HKD 15 (about USD 2) to complete my bus fare. That's not much at all. But still! My host trusted me enough to take what I needed, knowing I could abuse his generosity (which I never would, but how could he know that?) and probably never see me or hear from me ever again. 

I cannot tell you how humbled I felt by that faith. I took the HKD 15 I needed and left a couple of cookies that were double that value for him and his wife to find when they returned home. GOD bless this family!

Just 1 more look out from the balcony.

The third building of the central tall apartment trio, was where I stayed.

Sunrise, with a ferry setting off towards the East.

So thanks to my host, I made it to the airport without needed to sell any kidneys. I did not, however, expect the airport to be so huge. I arrived in Terminal 1 but flew out via Terminal 2. Just getting to Terminal 2 was an odyssey in itself. Fortunately, when I went through security, it was virtually empty. Also, I made it to my gate with 30 minutes or so to spare. But hey, if you're flying out of Hong Kong--especially Terminal 2--get there early! Give yourselves 2.5 hours minimum to be on the safe side. Three hours is best. If you had very smooth sailing to your gate, you've got time to do some last-minute shopping/napping/bathroom breaks/whatever you do.
But really, Hong Kong International Airport, Terminal 2 is no joke!

A bird stuck at my gate in the airport (Terminal 2).

So I made it back to Korea and back to my place. I don't remember what I did the rest of the day. I do know I had to go back to school the next day. Perhaps I passed out. Sounds good to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment