Monday, March 10, 2014

After my 1st week . . .

Whew! I made it through my 1st week.
Let me give you the day-by-day synopsis:

Monday
My co-teacher picked me up from home and brought me to my 1st school (Cheongil Middle). As in my previous post points out, I desk-warmed. My co-teacher brought me back home.

Tuesday
I went to the indicated bus stop around 7:30am and got the bus to my 2nd school (Gapcheon High). I actually got to go to the classrooms and introduce myself, along with another assistant English teacher. I took the bus back.

Wednesday
Same bus stop, different school (Gapcheon Middle). I got an introduction PPT (PowerPoint presentation) from waygook.com and tweaked it for introducing myself. I got to see all my students and all 3 of my classes.
After lunch, I walked over to Gapcheon Elementary for 2 afternoon classes. I met my 3rd grade class (population: 3), my 5th grade class (pop.:  3), and my 6th grade class (pop.: 1). As one might guess, 5th & 6th grades are combined. Afterwards, the bus took me back.

Thursday
This is the day when I spend all day at Gapcheon Elementary. I even have an After-school session of 2 class periods (40 min. each) with 3rd-6th combined (pop.: 7). Please pray for me as I come up with activities for these kids in such a varying degree of English (from just now beginning to learn, to can understand somewhat). Bus there and back. 

Friday
My final introduction to my final school: Cheongil Elementary. I had to be careful in the bus, since I almost missed my stop.
So, I found out I'm teaching 2 period of each 5th grade (pop: 8) and 6th grade (pop.: 3) classes. Ok, fine by me. I was told I should stay til 16:30, but because of the bus schedule (and how not-often it comes), I'm allowed to leave as early as 14:30 or so. I was almost pushed out to get the 15:45 bus. Okay then.

. . . . so yeah, that's pretty much what I have to look forward to every week. It should be interesting. Definitely keeps me on my toes.



***Breaking news***
I just got my Alien Registration Card (ARC)!

This means I can have my settlement and entrance allowances deposited into my bank account. This also means I can get a phone . . . and internet in my apartment! We'll just see how long it takes for each one to happen.

Basically, if you're a foreigner living in Korea, you can hardly do anything without said ARC. It's annoying, yet that's how it's done here.

No comments:

Post a Comment