Monday, March 3, 2014

First day (3.March'14)

My first day in a Korean public school was . . . not what I expected.

My main co-teacher (since I have 5 schools, there is one co-teacher in particular who's been in charge of me) picked me up from my apartment a few minutes before 8 am today. He drove me to Changil Middle School (창일중학교)--which is my "main school." It's a good 25-minute drive from my apartment. On the way, my co-teacher showed me the other 4 schools I'll be teaching in. Fortunately, they are near each other (although that might cause confusion the first few days).

So, we arrived at the middle school before 8:30. We file into the staff room and am pointed to my desk. I think it's fine and spacious. I kinda like the fact that I have my own computer. I guess that's expected, but I didn't think about it and brought my laptop. Whoops.

Okay, what do I do? Oh, just wait until 10 am. That's when we're having the opening ceremony. You can do whatever you want until then.
Thank GOD for having my own computer. I think I've answered most of my pending emails. My replies weren't short either.

Alright, it's a few minutes before 10am! We go upstairs to a large room. I don't think this place has an auditorium. That room looked like a library. Either way, I liked it. If you ever want to get me in a pleasant mood, just put me in a room full of books--even if I can't read any of them.
So, we opened with music from the students (I counted 20 total, boys and girls). My co-teacher spoke. He spoke a lot. Apparently he was the master of ceremony. The new principal was introduced and he gave a speech. Each individual teacher was introduced, including yours truly. Oh, that's it. Everyone's leaving. I guess I should leave too.

So, now what? Oh, I just sit at my desk until lunch @ 12:30. 
Well . . . may I have the semester schedule? Please? Yes! So it's all in Korean--makes sense. At least I've got plenty of time to go to translate.google.com and figure out what it all means. I got most of it, but I'll have to ask about the ones I don't understand. Wow, we have many holidays! Wow, most of them are not on Monday, when I come in . . . so that's why they're having me teach on Mondays . . . Considering how many holidays they have, that I can come in only once a week, and how much they're paying me to (help) teach their children English . . . Yeah, it makes sense to put me as often as possible, all things considered.

Oh! It's almost lunchtime! I'm actually starting to get a little hungry. Oh, my internet is off again . . . and everyone's busy doing their own thing.

Alrighty then. Just returned from lunch. We all went out and ate at a restaurant in the village. It was pretty good. It was a lunch with all the teachers and several parents (I don't think they were all there). They introduced everyone again. This re-introduction will probably go on for the rest of the week.

Have things changed after lunch? Nope. Now I've been officially introduced to the term "desk-warming." At least now I'm told (after asking) how my schedule will be.

Monday: Changil Middle
Tuesday: Gapcheon High (mostly football/soccer fans)
Wednesday: Gapcheon Middle & extra class in Gapcheon Elementary
Thursday: Gapcheon Elementary
Friday: Changil Elementary

. . . now to find out the times . . .

Oh, it's 16:40 and everyone's leaving. I guess this is the end of day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment