Monday, January 22, 2018

Masan Teachers Chorus Concert (20. Dec. 2017)

Happy 2018!

In my last post, I mentioned the Masan Teachers Chorus and their concert. I decided to write a post exclusively for that concert because I now have access to the recordings and I want to share them with you.

Again, a few things about this group and concert...
First off, this concert was the 10th annual concert, so now we know the chorus has been around for at least 10 years (probably with different directors and members throughout the years).
All the members are teachers (of various subjects) in Masan's public schools.
This time around, I was the only non-Korean in a 30-strong chorus.
The chorus had been learning and practicing these 8 (+/-) songs since I joined the Chorus in September--if not before.
We did not have the music with us on stage. We had to memorize the songs. All the songs, except 1, were in Korean. The one different song was in English.

I was given 2 solo parts in the one English song. I don't believe that was a coincidence.

The English song ("Can You Hear Me" by Bob Chilcott) was the first song of the program. I don't believe that was a coincidence either (i.e., get the harder stuff done and out of the way quickly, then be able to enjoy the rest of the program).

A few other teachers had solo parts (or three). One played two songs on the trumpet, and another accompanied the pianist and us on her flute.

We learned the choreography for four songs. Some of it was fun and "cute."

The Teachers Chorus was not the only group that performed. Three or four other schools joined us and did their own thing too. We all came together at the end for "Colors of the Wind" in Korean.

Here are the videos (Remember, the program is entirely in Korean):
*Want to know which woman is me? Easy! Look for the tallest/largest woman. That's me. Also, you'll see me step down for my solo in the 1st stage video at 3:29.*

Introduction

The "1st Stage"
(It really starts at 3:46)

Trumpet Soloist (Between "1st" & "2nd" Stages)

The "2nd" Stage
(Dress change and choreographed songs)

I don't know in which order the following clips went, but here they are:





And here is "3rd" Stage
The Finale

That's all folks!
I hope you enjoyed it--and be gentle, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment