Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Winter Vacation '18_Part 2: Jeju (13.-16. Jan. '18)

A few changes

Some of you know I used to teach and live in Jeju. I visited Jeju last August, but I wanted to meet up with a few people now in the winter, hence why I went.

Having in mind I moved out 5 years (!) ago, things understandably change. Somehow, things tend to change much faster in Korea.

One such change was the addition (or transplantation) of the city bus stops from the side of the road to the middle of the road. Below are a few pictures of what I mean.

Jeju City Hall bus stop--in the middle of the road.

Stop lights for the cars and the buses.

Other changes included the buses themselves. They were newer.

The bus routes changed to include other areas outside of Jeju city, even down to Seogwipo. Before, if you wanted to go anywhere outside of Jeju City, you had to go to Jeju Bus Terminal. Not anymore!

The bus numbers themselves were changed too--and this was the one that threw me off the most. When I was there in August, the buses had the same numbers as before. I come back 4.5 months later, and they are COMPLETELY different! It took me a while to understand my beloved 500 bus was now 365. It's equally dear cousin, the 502, was now 360.

Things never stay the same.


Other random sightings

So I took the 365 (formerly the 500) over to the end of its route (Jeju Halla University). Why? For memories' sake. On my way there, I was quick enough to catch this sight from the bus that caught my attention.

Is this the hair salon's idea of advertisement, two poodles?

Near the Halla University is a park they recently finished (maybe it was finished when I was there in August, not quite sure). Something there caught my eye. Here it is.

Comfort Woman Statue, lovingly covered up from the cold.

Close-up

You should check out this cafe

Down a side alley near City Hall, you will find a cafe called, "Lee SeongPil: Acidity & Full Aroma & Sweety Roastery Shop."
I kid you not.
I liked the atmosphere and the natural lighting coming in from a good 1/3 of the property. I forgot what kind of tea I ordered (maybe Rooibos?), but it was just right. The huge muffin I ordered was also plenty--but the good kind of plenty.
I took a few pictures--and a short video--you can see here.

There's the name.

Opens 11:30 - 22:00 Tue. - Fri., 13:00 - 22:00 on weekends, and is closed on Mon.

The menu

I don't remember ever seeing a wooden certificate before--paper certificates don't count.

Wanna get away?

I just came across this mural near my hostel and thought it was very well done.

Wanna get away?

Those are all the pictures I can share from Jeju.
I met with former colleagues, former students, and current friends. We got caught up in each other's lives. I did not take many pictures with them, but I'd rather keep those between them and me.

I left Jeju Tuesday morning. Where did I go?
Not back home! I still have the rest of the week as vacation and I want to go somewhere.

I did just that. From Jeju, I flew straight to Taiwan and stayed there until 3 am Monday (22nd) morning.

Let me show you how Taiwan was like.

No comments:

Post a Comment