Wednesday, January 31, 2018

Taiwan 5: Shilin Tourist Night Market (17. Jan. '18)

First stop for souvenirs: Taiwan Handicraft Promotion Center

Back in an MRT train, I was making my way to the Taiwan Handicraft Promotion Center (you can check out their website here, but there's no English).
I knew I was going to make it very soon to closing time (by "soon," I mean within 5 min. of closing time--18:00). I decided to go anyway. At least I can find it, return the next day at 9 (when it opens), and peruse around calmly until I should go catch my train at Taipei Main Station--just 1 MRT stop away.
I found the store and made it with about 5 minutes to spare. Go me.
I also found out they were very punctual. At 18:00, they started turning off the lights with customers still inside. Hint, hint? They did tell us to return tomorrow at 9, so we weren't wholly kicked out; just forcibly encouraged to honor the hours of operation.
I can respect that.
So now you know: if you go, make sure to leave before 18:00!


So, where to go? Google Maps, help me out, will ya? There surely must be other places in Taipei where I could find my souvenirs!
Maybe I should clarify why finding souvenirs was such a big deal to me. I collect flags, keychains, and patches from each country I spend at least 3 days in (maybe I should say "places," since I got the same items from Macau and Hong Kong). I was pretty sure Taipei would have the most extensive selection. I also knew I'd return to Taipei when only the night markets and 711s were open. Maybe. My flight out was at 3am.

Second stop for souvenirs: Shilin Tourist Night Market

Not long after the center closed, it occurred to me to try my luck at the Shilin Tourist Night Market ("Tourist" in this name gave me hope I'd find what I was looking for).
I wasn't disappointed.
I found most of what I wanted, plus a ton more that I didn't expect.

I went there via MRT on the red line and got off at Jiantan Station. There's a Shilin Station too, but I just thought Jiantan was closer. Looking at the map, I guess Jiantan is closer, but by a tiny bit.
Besides, people poured out at this station. The crowds usually hint if a restaurant is excellent or if this is the stop to get off. Lead on.

Like throwing darts to puncture balloons, but the darts come from an air gun.

There's the sign--and just what I needed too!
Seriously, the tourist trap I was looking for was at the entrance of the Shilin Market! You can see it in the picture above. It's just to the left. Shew, talk about feeling led!

I got everything except the flag here, but I did wander around, look, and eat.

Beef cubes grilled à la blowtorch. That was pretty cool.
I recommend getting it with cumin seasoning (cumin always makes my mouth water).

What else did I get?
- Hard-boiled quail eggs (6) on a stick (+ seasoning).
- The beef cubes + cumin seasoning from the video above.
- Candied strawberries (3) and cherry tomato (1) on a stick.
- Fruit juice smoothie at Juice Ni. I'm just sorry there were no seats. My feet were killing me--especially the one with plantar fasciitis.

Taking one last look before going back to the MRT.
I was happy. I was even happier to make it back to my bed at Taipei Livepal Hostel. I tried the TV in my bunk (!) only to see they were all in Chinese (of some sorts). I did get to tune in to a figure skating championship and watch a few men try to impress the judges. I would've watched it all if I wasn't exhausted. Besides, I had an early morning and long travel day ahead of me. Best to call it a night.

Shameless promotion

Speaking of nights, are you traveling anywhere soon? Would you like accommodation with a good deal (i.e., free cancelation up to 3 days before arrival, no prepayment/pay at the property on arrival, pictures, reviews, etc.)? Look no further than Booking.com! And if you click here, you can get up to USD 20 off your first stay!
Is this post sponsored? Honestly, no. But whatever you save will be given to me so I will get something, even though Booking.com doesn't directly sponsor my blog (would be cool, though).

What do you have to do?
1. Click this link. (or copy and paste: https://www.booking.com/s/27_8/17a42a71 if you're suspicious)
2. Make a reservation via this same link (if you don't, you won't get the discount!).
3. Go, stay, and enjoy (if you cancel or don't show up, you forfeit the discount).
4. About 2 weeks after you check-out, you'll get the discount notification email!

A friend of mine sent me her link. I used it when I stayed in Jeju, right before going to Taiwan. I checked out Jan. 16 and got the email notification on Jan. 29). My discount was $7.36 (which is why I said "up to"USD 20). That's like getting a few items in Starbucks, extra gallons/liters for your car, or an in-flight snack on a budget airline you didn't have to pay for! Why not? Small things add up (we've all experienced this one way or another).

I encourage you (without turning out the lights) to try this out. Tell me how it turned out for you. I'd like to know if this helps. If it doesn't, I promise to take all this down.


There, I just put my word--and your trust in me--on the line.

No comments:

Post a Comment