Thursday, March 14, 2019

Final Snapshots of Singapore (20. - 21. Jan. '19)

I wanted to share a few more photos but wasn't sure where. The posts they would have fit in were already too long, but they didn't belong in the few short posts either. Then I figured I'd just dedicate an entire post to some of my random snapshots of this city-state called Singapore.

Civilian War Memorial Park (from 20. Jan.)

After the DUCKTour, I walk to get to Marina Bay Sands. On the way, I passed by the Civilian War Memorial Park. This is dedicated to those who lost their lives (about 50,000) during World War 2. Understandably, this was an exceptionally dark chapter in Singapore's history. 






 Funky architecture

Subheading says it all.

There are so many skyscrapers that have vegetation growing on it.
Way to be modern and eco-friendly(-ish?).







Helix Bridge

Let's cross the Helix Bridge over to Marina Bay Sands area!

Nice, eh?

This ballet-sort of photoshoot was going on. It's not creepy of me to film them, was it?


180-degree view of the bay and the Helix bridge.

Chinatown

I've stopped to eat here every time I went down this street.

Egg and onion paneer. Dunno the sauce, but it was great.

The main street of Chinatown.
Cheapest place to buy souvenirs!

Lace fabric from the Arab Quarter.

That picture of lace has a story.
My stepmom had been searching for a type of lace that is supposed to be cut into strips. She had been able to find them online--and only through a Chinese seller. Since I'm in East Asia, I thought I'd take up the search as well.
To make an odyssey short, I found them in this one shop in Singapore. This was the only place I was able to find these. At all. I had to buy a few yards (this shop sold by yards, not meters, which surprised me) of them. I kept them for when my stepmom visited me the following month.

That short story wasn't enough to capture the extent and frustration of my search, but the reward of finding it made all that bitterness worth it.
Anywho, I finally finished my series on my photos from Brunei and Singapore. Only 2 months after I returned. No biggie.

No comments:

Post a Comment