Thursday, May 12, 2011

Jeju Island (Day 3)

Finally!

I can finally talk about Day 3: Hallasan (Halla Mountian)!



I started off a little later than I should. The delay was due to finding a filling breakfast, food for the hike, and the correct bus to the trail I had decided on (there are 6 trails to choose from).



I chose Seongpanak because the guidebook said it was mostly flat at the beginning.


Shew, I was about to hike the tallest peak in South Korea: I can't just go all-out on the 1st try. I need to have something that's within my beginner's level.




What greeted me at the beginning of the trail.



So, in total, about 10.2 km. (6.3 miles)




Let's begin.




Hmmm . . . by the time I came to this sign, I had about 30 minutes to hike 3.8 km . . .
yeah, I'm not going to reach the summit today.




Before I reached the place where I would be told to go back, I came to this sign.

Hmmm, at least they've got a sort of consolation prize for those who cannot go all the way to the summit. I'll take it.






It's the crater!








Hold a sec . . . is that it? Where's the rest of the crater?







Me trying to make it somewhat interesting in some way with the photo-editing features.






Seriously, this was a disappointment.






This view from the observatory, on the other hand . . . is not disappointing at all!


This a 180 degree view, stitched together.








It was incredibly windy up there. I was almost blown away--literally.


I LOVED IT!!!


Notice how tightly I tied my hat. If I didn't I would've lost it in literally 2 seconds. I kid thee not.






Just look at how the wind is blowing on this guy! This is serious wind!







Ah, I love this . . .






I'm not sure exactly which city this is, but here it is.





Leaving the observatory, walking back the steps to the disappointing crater.






I caught the raven in mid-flight.








The (highest) summit of Halla Mountian.






Another summit.







As I go back down the trail, here's the last "You are Here" sign I saw before I went to the crater and observatory.






If you're wondering about elevation (3,937 feet) . . .








Natural spring water.


This was the best water I've tasted in Korea!










Another crow in the trees. They're everywhere and huge!






At the bus stop, looking at a nearby road sign.










The other side of the same road sign.





From here, I decided to catch the third major waterfall I wanted to see: Cheonjeyeon Falls.

The ride down was a little wet, but nothing major. The bus drove down road 5.16, which has the Forest Tunnel. It is made up of trees from both sides of the road meet in the center and form a tunnel. I couldn't see much, since I didn't have a window seat, but the little I was able to see, I liked.



In central Seogwipo.



This is the reason why I went up Halla Mountian on Friday (this was Friday)--because these were going to pour very heavy rain on Sabbath/Saturday (the day I originally planned to go up Halla Mountian).






Ok, after quite a while, I was able to find the entrance to Cheonjeyeon Falls. It appeared closed, but there were people going in (1 man even told me it was ok to go in). So, I went in--quickly, mind you. I just wanted to go in and out. I didn't want to risk what would happen if I stayed too long.




The Fountain on the 5 Blessings.

There are 5 animals, each believed to bring their own good luck.

The Tortoise = Longevity

The Boar = Wealth

The Dragon = Honor

The Mandarin Duck = Love

The Carp = Sons


Toss a coin. If it lands in the lucky bouch in the center, you'll get your wish! (It states).



The Bridge of the 7 Nymphs.

This was a really steep bridge; but man, what a view!

The nymphs are on both sides of the bridge, but you can't see them from this angle.




After crossing the bridge, going to the side, and going down a bunch of stairs, I come here.





This is from the 2nd fall (there are 3).





Waterfall #1.

Looks like a whole bunch of faces, all from the side angle.

Was there supposed to be water coming down from here?



Waterfall #2.

Ah, now that's more like it.




Water and Rocks



To see Falls #3, I have to go back up those long stairs, pass the bridge, and keep on walking down a trail--then a whole lot more of stairs--and finally I'll reach the 3rd Falls.


Until then, I see these interesting things . . .

Random scultped statue of 7 nymphs. They look like the nymphs on the bridge. There was no way I could get a decent picture of the bridge with all the nymphs. Blast.





The path to the stairs, that leads down to the 3rd Falls.





Waterfall #3.
In this place and by this time (almost 19:00), it was infested with flies. Not cool. Other than that, it was nice. I like each of the Falls for different reasons, so I can't really choose which was my favorite.




Simple





The last stretch of stairs before arriving back on the trail. (there must've been about 7 of these, each one about this long).



Ok, I tried, but I couldn't get a nice and decent picture of this bridge. I am not happy.









The only time I don't like trees.




Back on the bridge, looking at Halla Mountian--and the clouds announcing a rain storm.




It's when I leave, that I can relax and take the time to take a picture of the sign.




The entrance/exit . . . that a few people ignored . . .




Ok, so it is a street (the 1 in front of the entrance to Cheonjeyeon Falls); but look at how EMPTY it is!

Just another reminder, that I'm not in Korea.


For Day 4: Sabbath and the SDA Institute/Church


No comments:

Post a Comment