Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mara-do (Mara Island) (29.July.12)

Hello, let me tell you what happened on my last day as a 25-year-old. One of my friends from church took me down to Mara-Do (Mara Island). This is a special place. Why? It's the southern-most tip of Korea.

After an hour ride to the port and a half hour ride on the ferry, we arrived to the extreme southern edge of Korean territory.

An hour and a half was enough time to spend on this island. After said time, we got on the ferry back and made our way to our respective homes.

To the pictures!

A hat vendor right on the dock.
It was a really hot day and Mara Island doesn't have any trees/shade. Therefore, a hat can be life-saving.


Our ferry.


Inside said ferry.


Mt. Songag stands in the distance, marking where we should be heading when we return.


Going up to the top of the ferry, we see this behind us.



I forgot to bring a hat, so my friend bought me one at that stand by the dock. Just 1,000 Won (<$1/0.75 Euros).
It helped immensely.


Welcome to Mara Island. You can walk around the island comfortably in about an hour.


First thing you see: the Jajangmyeon (dark bean noodles) quarter. Just about everything they sell to eat is Jajangmyeon.


Lo and behold! An elementary school!
Must be for the <5 br="br" families="families" here.="here." live="live" who="who">

Goalie post between land and sea.


Of course. What's a piece of Korean land without a GS 25 (or any kind of convenience store for that matter)?


I can't get my eyes off the sea.


I see Buddha couldn't leave this place alone either.


Cute random puppy we met.


"I see you!"


Finally, seeing cacti out in nature and not a botanical garden of some sort.


What?!
A chocolate museum?
Here?!
This just gets more and more random . . .


Behold, the southern-most point of Korea.


I love how they have Korea/Jeju as the center of the earth.


A path that runs along the edge of the island.
Many a couple have treaded these grounds.


A catholic church with its stunning scenery.


A few famous lighthouses of the world.
This side, we have Europe and Africa . . .


. . . and here we have Asia, Australia, and the Americas.


Jajangmyeon
(noodles in black bean sauce)
It was very delicious!


Same Mt. Songag from Jeju Island. As you can see, we're not that far.


Our ferry back has arrived, but it'll be a while before we can board.


As we wait by the ferry, the caves caught my attention.


Hi friend!


We're coming back.


Goodbye, Mara Island.
It was way too hot to visit you today, but it was still nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment