Sunday, October 8, 2017

Chuseok 2017, Day 2: Macau--Not Busy Day (3. Oct.)

As you can tell from my previous post, Monday (the 2nd) was a very busy day. I didn't even bother to write about the people I met from the UK, Chile, and Nepal that I met. There is one thing that happened Monday night I will share.

I sprained my ankle.

I was walking down a wide alley/street/whatever. There was a step down I did not see. So when I stepped, I wasn't ready for it and came down not-so-gracefully on my left ankle.

Fortunately for me, a kind stranger was sitting on the bench that was right there. He moved over so I could sit and kept me company for a bit (he was also waiting for someone). After talking for a bit and realizing that I had indeed sprained my ankle, he went to get his motorbike. He gave me a ride to my host's place! It would've been a short ride, just we missed it a couple of times. I wasn't upset, considering the ride was actually quite fun!

Anyway, the next morning, my host took me to a doctor that practices traditional Chinese medicine. He basically massaged my ankle.
It hurt A TON!!!
To make the pain bearable, I tried to remember what a distant relative used to say about medicine: the worse it tastes, the more effective it is. I figured the same could be true for painful, natural, medical treatments...?

At least I left limping less--right back to my host's place. I stayed there most of the day. At least I rested my ankle in an air conditioned environment.

Wait, did I mention it was about 33 (Celsius) with high levels of humidity every single day I was in Macau AND Hong Kong?


At the Traditional Chinese Medical Clinic.

Macau Patacas!

From the other side with intentional fuzziness. 
 So I paid about 280 Patacas/Hong Kong Dollars (about $35 USD) for the treatment and medicine.
This is without insurance,
Not bad at all (when compared to the States)!


Any who, we did walk around a bit, but only to stuff that was on our way back.

St. Dominic's Church Museum


The passage between the museum and the front, beside the sanctuary.

One of the bells.

Alright. Now we went back and relaxed, ate, watched White Chicks, and simply relaxed.


Can you tell how swollen my ankle was?

I felt much better--and I can't stay (resting) in one spot for long--so I decided to try to see the other side of Macau (Coloane) from the less-risky side in a bus.


Walking to the bus stop, I looked behind me.

The bus I needed to Hac Sa Beach--the furthest point I could go by bus in Macau.

Unfortunately, I started too late. I wanted to see this area in the day, but the sun went down before I crossed the bay. Oh well, I got to Hac Sa Beach anyway. It looked nice at night. I was also told it looks worse in the day, so I may have had the better view after all.

My view from a bench I sat on along the beach.

Experimenting

On my way back to my host.

No comments:

Post a Comment