Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Chuseok 2017, Day 3-2: Macau and Hong Kong--China/Macau Border - Hong Kong Ferry Ride (4. Oct.)

Macau Tower was great, but I had one other place I wanted to check out before I had to get to the ferry: the Macau/China border.

Well, technically Macau belongs to China (Macau is in China), but it is so different and independent-ish that it might as well be its own city-state-country. It's complicated, and I don't know all the details, but Macau is different enough to have a border control between it and mainland China.

I wanted to go and check it out.

Other than a short layover in Shanghai, I've never been to (mainland) China. I wanted to see how close I could get without going in (Americans need to get a visa to visit China. We can't just show up and get one on arrival).

Thank you, trilingual info sign.

Panorama of those going into China and those coming out.

It was around this time when I remembered I didn't have my passport on my person. It was with the rest of my packed stuff back in my hostess' place.
Hmm, no passport and it's illegal for me to enter China without a visa . . . I'll just take the pictures from a distance and leave.

The border gate building.

I made it back in time to relax a bit before needing to head to the ferry. I got everything (passport included) and headed towards the bus stop to catch one towards the ferry harbor.


Last look at the patterned tiles of Senado Square.

View of the ferries from my boarding gate.

I guess they want passengers to remember to buckle up?

Inside the ferry.

Ah, just like an airplane.

Snacks for the trip: lemon tea drink & mooncake.

View of Macau International Airport with departing plane.

Yes, got a window seat!

Hong Kong!

Panorama of Victoria Bay and ferry harbor and footbridge.

I needed to go down a few floors to Sheung Wan Station of the MTR. In Hong Kong, you need an Octopus Card to get around. I got the On-Loan Octopus Card since I didn't want to keep it. It turned out to be a pretty good deal--especially when considering that it can be used not just for transportation, but also for food and other stuff. Kind of like the T-Money card in Korea.

Map of the "Island Line." My hostel is in Causeway Bay.

I made it to my hostel, which wasn't as hard to find as I initially thought (thank GOD!) at around 18:00 or so.
After quite a bit of walking and traveling (and considering I needed to take care of my weak ankle), I decided to call it a night and stay in.
This is the end of Day 3.
Day 4 - 5 were great days made possible by the Big Bus Tour. More on that in the next post.


Interesting flavor choice. Not sure what I think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment