Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Final Journey Home (2. April, 2020)

This is it, my final departure from Korea as an English teacher employed in Korea.

Getting to the Airport By Bus

I used KakaoT to get a taxi from my (ex-)apartment to Masan Intercity Bus Terminal. From there, I caught the 00:10 bus from Masan directly to Incheon International Airport Terminal 2.

This bus was scheduled to arrive around 5:30am to Terminal 2. We arrived a whole hour earlier. I don't think it was just the driver speeding through to its destination, but also because I was one of two passengers in a 28-seat bus. Both of us were going to Terminal 2. At that time, I'm sure you can make excellent time.

Reclining my seat back as far as it goes

There's only one other passenger. Do you see him?

Lights dimmed for the all-night ride.
I'm happy to say I was able to sleep on the bus. I usually get drowsy in cars/buses anyway. The fact that this bus was practically empty and driving all night made sleep that much easier for me.

At Incheon Terminal 2

This was the emptiest I've ever seen Incheon airport. I have spent an entire night here once or twice before. Both times, more people were coming, going, wondering, or sleeping in the airport than there were this day.

Why not have this for all flights?
Incheon International Airport Terminal 2 Departures... that's it?


Before checking-in to my Atlanta-bound flight, I needed to go through a simple health screening. It involved a questionnaire, I.D. check, temperature check, and moving pieces of paper back and forth. It was straightforward, yet even now, I still question its effectiveness.

I had to give this to the check-in clerk.

After checking in and waiting around for a while, I was able to go through security. 
I've never experienced such empty security in Incheon! I was literally the only passenger who went through until I reached customs! I should admit it was nice to have all the time in the world with very modern security screening equipment.

With some time on my hands, I explored the terminal. I also got earbuds and an extra phone charger, seeing I left mine at the apartment in Masan (it happens).

Whoa, this is only part of Terminal 2. Fancy schmancy!

I was also hungry. I couldn't wait for whatever breakfast the flight attendants would serve, so I found something for my final meal in Korea.

My final meal in Korea: beef doenjang-jjigae 

For those of you who have flown, you know how long it takes to board everyone into a plane. Maybe twenty minutes or so? I arrived at my gate six minutes after the scheduled boarding time. Imagine my surprise to find out I was among the last to board--as in, there wasn't a line of any sort when I arrived at my gate!
I got to my row. On my way, I saw there were many empty seats. It appeared as though one-third of the passengers had a whole row to themselves. I was pleased to find out I was among those too.
Never have I ever flown on a trans-oceanic flight with three seats to myself. You can be sure I took full advantage of that! For those thirteen hours, I was lying down for up to eleven of them. And to think I had all of this space to myself in economy class on Korean Air.

A whole 3-seat row to myself?!

In Atlanta

As soon as our plane touched down in Atlanta (GOD bless America!), I turned on my phone to find out from Delta Airlines that my flight to Jacksonville was canceled about five times (!). My scheduled flight to Jacksonville was to leave the next day (April 3rd) at noon. It was the morning of April 2nd. This did not make sense, and I was going to try to do something about this.
I came across a Delta Help Desk in Concourse A. The lady at the counter was very helpful, and we were able to solve this issue. Basically, instead of waiting 'til the next day to fly to Jacksonville, I'd fly into Gainesville that afternoon. Perfect! Gainesville is closer to where my parents live anyway! I was happy as I went to that flight's gate.
I thought it was interesting, yet unsurprising, that this small plane was virtually empty too. I was towards the back (row 18) too. I also had that row to myself.

A whole 2-seat row to myself in an 80% empty plane.

From Gainesville on Home

I arrived! I made it! Now to wait for my checked-in bags...
They didn't make it.

I spoke with an attendant. He said my bags should arrive the next day (they did), and they will send my bags home to my address (they did). It was frustrating, but alas, I was home.
I got an Uber home. The driver told me how things were going in that region, thanks to the virus. He said I made it in by "the skin of my teeth." It seems as though Florida was going to enter lockdown that night at midnight. Wow, GOD is good!

I made it home and started my two-week self-quarantine. As of the writing of this blog post, I am a few days away from finishing this mandate. It's weird telling my parents to pretend I have leprosy for 2 weeks, but it's ok. This, too, shall pass.

This COVID-19, too, shall pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment