Saturday, September 1, 2018

Friday Break (17. Aug.)

Considering that I had been on the go since I hit the ground (or since arrival on Monday), I decided to make Friday, August 17th; a chillax day.
I had been sleeping for over 7 hours each night, but I still felt exhausted by 19:00 or 20:00 each day--then again, I was on the go and walking more than I had in Korea for a while.

On this "chillax day," I had my laundry squared away, checked out the aquarium, and shopped like I hadn't shopped since I've been in Korea.

First off, I packed very little for South Africa (about 3 outfits for a 2-week trip).
I did this on purpose for two reasons:
One, it's winter in South Africa. All I need to do is layer and wear the same clothes a few times (if they're ok) before tossing them into the dirty laundry bag.
Two, so I'd be forced to buy clothes.

My laundry bag was kinda full, and I barely had anything clean left.
That, and it rained all day the previous day. Did I mention I was out all day and got stuck/lost in a hurricane-/typhoon-type deluge? This was after getting back from the World of Birds.

I did shop for clothes, but that was later this same day. Funny enough, even though I did buy clothes, they were not for right then and there (mainly knee-length shorts).
More on that later.

As far as laundry was concerned, the hostel staff and a roommate helped me find a laundromat. I was so glad they'd have my clothes ready by that afternoon AND have them delivered to my hostel. Yay! Isn't it beautiful when things turn out without you having to do anything?

Two Oceans Aquarium

Two Oceans Aquarium

I'll share the rest in video format.

Considering South Africa borders both the Atlantic and the Indian Oceans, is it really any wonder why they chose the name: "Two Oceans Aquarium"?


My lunch: Fish and Chips (with rice) at Ocean Basket

Dessert menu

Baklava Cheesecake (waaaay too sweet)

Shopping

Oh man, did I shop and buy a ton!
In all honesty, I think I did a year's worth of shopping (or more) on this trip--but most of said shopping was done on this day, at the Victoria Wharf Shopping Centre. However, the store I spent the most was at Woolworths. Oh my word, I felt like I was back in the States. It was great! I'd say Woolworths is like Macy's in the States, but cheaper (especially when one factors in the exchange rate).

There's no need to go into how much I spent or on what. Just know that if you want to spend money, Cape Town (or South Africa in general) is the kind of place where you can spend your hard-earned cash and feel pretty good about it--and this is coming from a quasi-stingy woman.
But do be careful. South Africa is not as safe as Korea (or many places in Asia). Practice the same level of caution you would in the States, UK, or any Western country. Try to avoid making yourself a target as much as possible.
You've been warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment