Monday, September 3, 2018

Lion & Safari Park in Pretoria

On the last day of my South African trip: Lion & Safari Park!

As my friend told me, There is no way you can go to Africa and NOT see any animals. So we squeezed in Lion & Safari Park on an already full day. I'm so grateful we went.

First, my friend and I went on a kind of safari through the park. We saw giraffes, lions, wild dogs, springboks, wildebeests, cheetahs, zebras, and other animals (this was about a 30 min. ride).

After that, we signed up for 2 animal experiences: petting lion cubs and petting an adult cheetah.

We (and her sister and sister's friend) entered the section with the lion cubs. I think there were about 6 or so. They were cute--and big! I forgot if they were 2 or 4 months old. Either way, they were not small, but still cute--and still a little wild. One bit my friend's hand (not hard, just enough to feel the teeth), and another growled at me (this one has some character, I see!).

Next, just my friend and I entered the enclosure with the adult cheetah. Poor animal lost her left eye. I forgot how. But she was good-humored, although impatient to be fed (dinner was just outside). It was a mission trying to get a good picture of and with her. Her trainer did a lot to help us. Finally, when she was lying on the ground, I got to massage her behind her ears, and her "V-8 engine" purr was like nothing I've ever experienced. That purr was the highlight of my day!

Below is a short video (minus the purr):


There were other things we did, but I don't feel the need to share them here or now.
This concludes my last day in South Africa.

The next and final post will be about my odyssey back to Korea--and what an odyssey that was.

No comments:

Post a Comment