Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Walk Together in Daejeon (16. Sept. '18)

I have a Korean friend--I'll call her "B." Last time B and I saw each other was when I lived in Hoengseong. That's 4 years ago! I couldn't see her at all until recently because she was very busy with her Masters. She just graduated a couple of months ago (way to go!). 

Finally Reunited

So after 4 (give or take years), B and I finally met up on the early evening of September 15, 2018, in her hometown of Daejeon. She took me back to her place, introduced me to her boyfriend, and the 3 of us cooked dinner together. We made gimbab (김밥), and they made Jjimdak (찜닭). I'd say we all did a good job. We enjoyed the food with the classic movie, Roman Holiday. Funny as it may seem, this was the 1st time I've ever seen that movie (this coming from someone who grew up watching movies from the 1930s - now, even a few silent films sprinkled in there). Something nice and lighthearted. It was just right.

B explaining how I should make gimbap.

My 1st successful gimbap! Man, I was so hungry I couldn't wait for it to be cut up.

After the cooking.

Walk Together Daejeon!

B left for church early Sunday morning. Afterward, she went to man her position as an interpreter at the hanbok booth in a festival she told me about. I was (gratefully) allowed to rest the entire morning. Around 12:30, B's boyfriend gave me a ride to the "Walk Together" Festival in Daejeon (where B was volunteering). This was the festival's 7th year. Basically, it's to commemorate the nationalities represented in Daejeon. You could dress up in traditional costumes, eat international food, play games and make crafts, and lots of other stuff for the whole family. I believe this was put together by the Daejeon International Center (If I'm mistaken, please correct me).
There were a ton of people (crowds always make me uncomfortable), but there was a lot of space too, so it was ok. Some of the nationalities represented were Filipinos, Japanese, Chinese, Mongols, Kazakhs, Ghanaians, Indians, Indonesians, Cambodians, Thai, Russians, and even Mexico (couldn't find a Mexican though, blast)!

They said, "Pose!" as though I can . . . 

In a Hanbok.
In a Yukata.

How do you tie and make this knot?


The 3 of us near the stage.

Leaving the venue. Whatcha think of the t-shirts?

I really like this funky bridge.


We went on a walk they had. There were 2 courses to choose from. Both made a 2 km circle from and back to the festival premises.

We left early so the 3 of us could have dinner together (without being rushed) before my train back to Masan.

It was a good time. Hopefully, we'll meet each other again in less than 4 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment