Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cheonan Heungtaryeong Dance Festival 2010 (8-10. Oct.)

Finally, I looked through my pictures and have them ready to show you. This past weekend, I went to the Cheonan Heungtaryeong Dance Festival 2010. Since I live here, and happen to love dance, I figured I should attend. It began Tues. Oct. 5 and went 'til Sun. Oct. 10. I couldn't attend til Friday 'cause I had to teach in the evenings and didn't have enough time to go during the afternoon. But go I did! This festival is an annual event in Cheonan, where people from all over the world come together to take part in dance.

For me, the highlight of the event was the International Folk Dance Competition. There were 23 groups from around the world that came to take part in the competition. I only got to see the final 10 and a few others during the Gala show (Sun. afternoon) and the parade (Sat. night). It was worth it! Did I mention my favorite type of dance is folk/national/cultural dance? Anywho, let me share with you my weekend in this festival.






Most of the events took place in Samgeori Park, in the outskirts of Cheonan. This is from the southwestern entrance.





Booths and beautiful floral arrangements galore.






In one tent/booth.



Some of the graphic design that caught my eye.








You look interesting






You too.





This just makes me happy.






The main stage.




Just across from the main stage.





There's a small lake in the park, and this is the bridge.



I like those dragons.






Changu drums! I wanna play!




Oh, memories of Bogi . . .




You can even design and decorate your own cake!




I just happened to pass by as this was happening.





Awwwwww!




I shall participate in this . . . but unfortunately I can't right now.



Greetings.





There was a large tent that had info and stuff from the different continents and regions. I visited all of them and when I came to North America, this was what caught my eye . . .

Hmmm, I guess there is some truth to this whole thing about Obama being (linked to) the antichrist . . .

You can find info on VeriChip under their new name, "PositiveID".



That was Friday afternoon.

Now comes Saturday night: Parade in downtown Cheonan.





On my way to Yawoori, the mall, where the parade is going through (this was pretty much the end of the parade). The bus would have taken me directly to the front (the pic is from the back), but with the parade going there . . . well, you know.




Fan dancers!





The mascots for the event.





With some trsditional Korean dancers. Those hats are really cool, 'cause the men twirl the ribbon or tassel that's tied to the hat by the way they move their heads.




Some of the dancers from Abkhazia (along the Black Sea: there's still a dipute whether this is an independent political entity or just a part of Georgia).

They danced a bit and were awesome.




Yeap, the flowers and needle statue in front of Yawoori again . . .




On my way back, crossing the same bridge behind Yawoori.



This was Saturday night.

On to Sunday



On Sunday, I spent the day with Hazel (1 of my religion class students) and her husband Jack. First stop, the largest traditional market in Cheonan. From the fish market alley . . . anyone want some?




Hmmmm . . . crabs, squid!




The main street from 1 end.




I was told this is a Chinese lemon (?)





Same street, from the other end.




You know me and flowers! It's about the only nature I get to see in a city.



This puts me in a Christmas mood.



After, we went to their apartment and talked some, while drinking tea. Then, we left for the festival. Traffic was pretty bad--and finding a parking space, even worse. But praise God we were able to get one in the park.


Back to the festival in time to watch an Indian dance.




Yours truly with Hazel and Jack.





I just can't get enough of this dragon statue.




Yes! I'm gonna learn to play the Changu! (after I take this picture)




A play about the bad stuff that can come about when you gamble.

Man = kid addicted to gambling

Woman = man's girlfriend/wife

Old Woman = man's (dead?) mother



The guide to the land of the dead.




Hooray for a happy ending.



Lunch! Sarrangsang (spelling?) = beef and noodle soup, and all the side dishes that come along with it. I really enjoyed it.



Back at the main stage, watching the Student section of the dance competition finals. The International Folk dance was right after and we thought we'd watch as we waited: watch the dances and watch out for closer seats.


From here on, I took very few pictures because I took video instead. Still need to work out a few things to see if i can post them here or not. Anyway, below are the pictures:




The Austrian team



The Abkhazian team (I think they won. They sure deserved it!)




Latvian Group





Team from Bulgaria (they were pretty cool too).




Kahzakstan ladies.

They are very flexible, bending backwards with their heads to almost knee-level!






It was great, I really wish some of you could've joined and experienced it as well. I know you would've liked it.



5 comments:

  1. really love ur experienced. thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow.. that's great.. love u'r experienced.. i want to go there too.. join the festival n join the dance competition.. but i don't know how to
    sign up the festival.. maybe, if u know some information about this.. please tell me.. thanks before :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how to sign up or enter the festival's competitions. I just went to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you able to find out where that drum was purchased. The colour of its wood is beautiful. The distributor please? If not, let me know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can honestly tell you, that I have no earthly idea about anything concerning the drum.
      Sorry for being completely useless in answering your question.

      Delete