Saturday, October 23, 2010

Outing with Religion Students (20. Oct. '10)

Religion classes are over (for the term). This means, only 1 week until the term itself is over. So, my religion class students wanted to do something special that day. They took us (most of my students are in another religion class as well; so they took both teachers) to Hyeonchungsa, a state park dedicated to Admiral Yi Sun-sin.
Admiral Yi Sun-sin is one of the greatest heroes of Korea. He helped free Korea from the Japanese invasions and invented the turtle ship. He was a military genius and a man of high and noble character; truly someone worthy of admiration.

Korean, Chinese, and English

Oh . . . I forgot to ask about this . . .
I just took the picture 'cause it looked good to me. Besides, we were getting ready to eat.




Most of the group with the food.



After lunch, it's off to the park. This was the entrance/ticket counter.



It looked better in real life.




Walking up to the bridge.



Wow . . . fish . . .




Hyeonchungsa museum.
It contains many of Admiral Yi's relics and gives an idea of how it was at the time of Admiral Yi.



I love this architecture and these colors.



Ah . . . Autumn, how I love thee.



Back to the museum: I just can't get over the architecture.


Oh, this is a tree I couldn't resist taking a picture of and editing in several ways.




Which do you like the most?




Looking at the yard in the house where Admiral Yi lived in.



My attempt to stitch a few pictures together. The inside of Admiral Yi's house, from the center courtyard.




Ah, the "heating (ondol) system". Very appreciated invention.




Looking at the place from where I took the panoramic shots (and towards where I saw the yard).



Ancestral shrine at the back.



Ginkgo



Admiral Yi's house, from the ginkgo trees on the archery range.




It caught my eye.



Naesammun
This is the front gate of the Main Hall.




Bonjeon (Main Hall)
It contains a preserved portrait of Admiral Yi.



From the Main Hall, looking down to the front gate . . . and beyond.



Admiral Yi Sun-sin



Courtesy of one of the museum docents.



A tunnel



The museum again.
I am so grateful to my religion class students for this very pleasant excursion. I really enjoyed it. The scenery, the history, the company, the food . . . it was all good. Thank you all so much again! Can't wait to see you again next term!

No comments:

Post a Comment