Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Getting to Omura / Last day in Japan (28. Jan.)

Well, the trip is drawing to its end. This is my last day in Japan, and my last morning in Nagasaki. Again, I had to check-out of my hostel by 11:00, but I needed to check-in to my last hotel after 15:00 or so. I had 4 hours to kill between 2 cities that were not far from each other (less than 1 hr, if I'm not mistaken).

So I decided to take a stroll in Nagasaki to the Nagasaki Seaside Park.


Self-explanatory, I believe.


a 360 degree view of the park, from the seaside dock.


I love bridges, remember?


I don't think I really needed that jacket that day, but the wind convinced me I did.


Bridges and water, 2 things I love, together.
No wonder I really like this place.


That hill/mountain up there is Mount Inasa. My night view of Nagasaki was from up there.


And that tubular building is where you go to get said night view of Nagasaki.


Can you tell this is Japan? How many different types of architecture do you see here?


I didn't go inside. Just didn't feel like it.


I crossed that bridge earlier.


This one was beside the one I was on at that moment (same place I took the previous picture).


The harbor.


Oh, what's this?


What, this menu has English? Where were you?!
Too bad I wasn't hungry. . . 


Oh, didn't expect to see this here, did ya?


Nagasaki Seaside Park (taken from a parking lot on the roof of a nearby mall).


This cannon ball has an interesting story, if you can read the plaque.


Ok, I had enough. Didn't feel like dragging my rolling carry-on with me all over the city, especially since I already saw what I wanted to see. So I decided to head off to Omura. My last night in Japan was going to be in a hotel there, which was very near the airport. So I guess I could start heading that way.


The kind of train I took to Omura. I didn't really see much of the sea, though.


In the distance, at the end of the road, you can see Omura train station.


I found this information center entertaining.
It has the "i" icon for information. I haven't really encountered the "?" for information centers before. To me, it looks like "We have information , , , I think . . . maybe?"


I liked this pedestrian bridge. As you can see, I didn't really need to use it because of the traffic, but I thought it was fun. That, and I took the picture of Omura station from there.


Just in case you were wondering about the price of fuel in Japan--and remember, these are in Yen and Liters (yes Americans, I'm talking to you).



So in case you haven't realized it, I walked from the train station to my hotel. It must've been about 5 km away or so. So a bit of a walk, but I enjoyed it. The area reminded me of Jacksonville, Florida actually! Who knew, right?


When you see this sign, you will be able to see my hotel.


Doesn't look like much, I admit; but for a good night's rest, it was more than enough.


The entrance, with a convenience store right beside it.
So convenient, eh?


Well, I still had an hour or so before I could check-in. What could I do til then?
Ah, I know something useful I could do: walk to the airport! That way, I'd know how much time to set aside for actually getting to the airport in the morning.
Off I go!



That's nice.


Well, this (the Omura/ Nagasaki area) is where the Portuguese landed when they arrived to Japan . . .


Oh, did I forget to mention the airport is on it's own independent island? I could either take a ferry to the airport, or a bus/taxi, or walk along the sidewalk on the bridge. Since I didn't know where to get on the ferry for the airport and taxis are expensive, I decided to walk.


From half-way on the bridge, looking back to where I came from.


Coming to the shore of the airport.


Ok, the entire bridge from the airport to mainland.


Nagasaki Airport.


It looks cool to me, from this angle.


Ok, so taking my time from the hotel to the airport and stopping to take pictures, it took me about 50 minutes to walk from my hotel to the airport. What a nice and scenic walk it was!


Lantern display at the information desk.


I've heard a little about this place, but didn't think I'd have the chance to go.
What do you think? Would you go to Huis Ten Bosch if you didn't have enough time to really enjoy it or enough money to enjoy it AND the rest of the trip?

Well, this could be a good excuse to go back . . . 


Nagasaki has a strong Christian history, so I can understand why they chose this kind of architecture.


Hmm, how does this work? Do I have to deposit a coin somewhere?


Oh, this airport has an observation deck? Let's go and observe!


You will come out through those doors.
This part looks like a New Mexican Mission.


Off to (my) right,


Off to (my) left


So this is how the observation deck is like.


There goes a Japan Airlines flight, taking off.


Alright, this was all well and good, but I'm sure I can check in now. I'm going back.


Remember we already saw this statue?


From the airport parking lot, looking back to the mainland.


Guess what, I ended up walking back to the hotel! I was going  to take a taxi, but then I felt a second wind, enough energy to get back on foot. So I did.


I took another route back to the hotel.
These palm trees looked so great, I had to turn around and take a picture of them.


Now, I can check-in!


This is not an ATM; this is where you check-in and pay for your hotel room ahead of time.
It has Japanese and English. It worked very well, but I really wasn't expecting this!


A few freebies beside said machine.
I took advantage of the free hair tie and took one. I wish I could've taken more.


I think you can imagine how exhausted I was, so I took a long hot shower and climbed into bed. I think it was around 19:00 when I did so. I was really tired and I had to make it to the airport in time for my international flight back to Korea (flight left at 10:25, so I should be at the airport at 8:25).

End of Day 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment