Thursday, February 26, 2015

Final days of my (official) Winter Vacation (31. Jan. - 2. Feb.)

Now, coming towards the end of my (official) winter vacation . . .

On Saturday, I slept in and caught up with friends (a married couple) living on the 1st floor of where my guesthouse was (up on the 3rd floor).

On Sunday, I met my friend Hazel (who was my Religion class student my 1st term in Korea, back in Sept. -Oct. 2010!) at Ichon Station (not to be confused with Incheon). 

Getting my bearings.


This is where we were going to go: National Museum of Korea.

Did you notice that I haven't visited any of the really famous tourist spots in Seoul? I've been to Seoul countless times, yet I've never been to any of the palaces or anything. Even my friend was shocked. So a few friends (including Hazel) are trying to change that, seeing I'm leaving in 1 week (at the time I type this post, not when I took these pictures) . . .



Before we do anything though, we need to be ready . . .


Behold, my preparation.
This is the 1st time I've ever seen the rice on the side for bibimbap (비빔밥).


A way up to the museum.


From the outdoor foyer, you can see Namsan Tower (I finally got to go on the next day, surprisingly!).


I didn't bother trying to get a picture of the museum, because it was just waaaaaay too big.


But we did go on the tour in English (free).


Once upon a time in Korea's past . . .


King's throne.


10-story pagoda


Do you notice something very different about this model house? What's that on the ceiling? That's a door/wall! Now that's a convertible home!

Good times with Hazel at the museum.



Now, it's Monday, my last day of winter vacation, and I met another friend, Mechelle.

First, let's get energy for our day. . .

. . . at Outback Steakhouse!

It's a really good thing we ate so much, because we ended up walking up to the top of Namsan, up where Namsan Tower is located.


There's the tower, and you can see the cable car going up.
It's 6,000 Won 1-way, or 8,500 Won round-trip.


My friend had a baby-stroller and the both of us ate too much. So we hiked it.


Trees of locks and chairs for couples to get close.


On the other side of this glass is the way to get to the top. I didn't go. It didn't seem worth it to me.
And look at how N Seoul Tower compares to other towers around the world . . . it's the shortest! The only thing that makes it somewhat appealing is that it's on top of a hill.


The fence of locked locks.
Supposedly, if a couple comes and set their locks here, they'll be "locked" in love forever.
I wonder how many have come here to get their lock back after a break-up . . . 


So yeah, that's the tower.


This is the main vicinity.


Nearby watchtower.


How high are we again?


Seoul


The tower.


How to get to and from the cable car.


Seoul, but looking straight at Myeongdong.


Close-up of Myeongdong.


Gazebo.


This is like Valentines Day in a public park.
"Thanks for reminding me I'm single!"

Ugh, enough of this. I'm going back to my apartment. My winter vacation is officially over.

No comments:

Post a Comment