Monday, January 23, 2012

EuroTrip 2011 (Germany-pt.2)

Yay! I'm in Germany again!
My friend still had some classes in her university (in Frankfurt), so I got to walk around a little on my own. In the afternoon, we spent the rest of the day in Frankfurt. I went camera-happy here.
Let's begin with the few pictures I took (trust me, I took over double the amount of pictures I posted here):



An Adventkalendar. This is typical of German-speaking Europe (I don't know about the other parts of Europe). It is a calendar for kids to help them countdown to Christmas--as well as to help them wait for it. There are numbers from 1 - 24. Behind each number is a little door with a small surprise (candy or toy) for the kid to enjoy on that day. Everyday they open a new door and see what their surprise of the day is.


One of the streets in the old-city of Frankfurt.
It doesn't look that old, but keep in mind that this city was destroyed in WWII.

Almost like a gate from the old to the new/modern.

Part of the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas market). This is also typical here. It adds to the cozy, traditional Christmas mood here. Warning: they are nice to look through, but they're crazy expensive.


Now we're in the old city's center.

Soaking up the German feeling.

Of course, the Christmas market is in the center of the old city.

I really like this!

Behold the beer mugs (and other souvenirs) of the local tourist trap.

There's a river that flows through Frankfurt (Main) and you can ride a boat/ferry on it. Didn't bother to look at the prices (sorry).

Swans and ducks galore.
Such graceful birds . . .

Pedestrian bridge across the Main . . . I'm there!
You can see the modern/financial center of Frankfurt (well of Germany for that matter) in the distance.

Reminded me of the construction workers on the Brooklyn Bridge taking a lunch break.
From Homer's Odyssey: "Sailing to speakers of another language on the wine-colored sea."
This is a sign on the center of the bridge.
Walking across the bridge, I noticed a lot of locks . . .

Oh! It's just like the "couple-locks" on Namsan Tower in Seoul!

Frankfurter Dom (Frankfurt Cathedral) behind an apartment complex.

The financial center of Germany.

There's the sign that was translated from Greek to German. (I translated it 2 pictures ago).

On the other side, looking back at the bridge.

The path set before me.

It's cold and windy, but not enough to keep me from exploring!

Frankfurt's skyline.

If you need directions (you can also rent bikes like the one locked to the pole).

The float taking a rest before returning to marine duty.

You can find these signs all over where there are places of interest.
Maybe the people got tired of giving directions?
Fine by me: I love finding my own way around anyway.

I can't get enough of this view.

Next stop: Frankfurt Cathedral.

Roman ruins just in front of the cathedral.

Small note before entering.

I can't play the organ, but this one almost makes me drool.

Right at the entrance/exit of the sanctuary.

Nicely restored mosaic-walled building.

The sign says: "This is a shop for cat fans"
My kind of place!
Didn't really like much of what they had, other than the cat vs. dog chess set.

The great German writer, Goethe . . . and I.

Frankfurt's Opera house.

I bet this looks nice at night.

You may need a neckbrace after passing through this section.

The Euro Sign!
oh . . . and what's left of "Occupy Frankfurt". . .

Huh?!
Where's the Korean store?!

Goethe House.
Nice museum.
I've been told there are tons of Koreans who congregate here, although I haven't seen any the time I was there.

Back to the Christmas Market.
Want some Lebkuchen (Gingerbread)?

Typical gingerbread hearts. This is like Valentine's candy hearts on Christmas.

Back to the center for the Christmas Market!

Another place where you can get gingerbread hearts and other snacks.

Of course, the tree cannot be absent.

A merry-go-round!
I didn't go. I didn't feel like paying the fee.

Cuckoo clocks in a neraby tourist trap.

Don't ask me how much they cost.

Snowboarder's bench, apparently.

They love to cover everything with chocolate . . . including spicy chillis.

At the train station/subway.
There are lots of screens showing tons of advertisements. But when the train is seconds away from appearing, the screen will give you the head's up.
Ah, and English is used a lot in the cities, so you don't need to worry that much if you don't know German--although I'd recommend knowing some German, for your own independence.

No comments:

Post a Comment