Friday, September 17, 2010

My 1st Month

Well, lookie here . . . I just arrived to Korea exactly a month ago today!

Wow, it feels like a long time ago, yet at the same time it doesn't . . .

Since I last posted, I went to Seoul during the weekend and spent some time with a few of my friends from orientation. At least now, I know how to get to the train station and can go again on my own (my coordinator had to go to a meeting and she took me with her in the train so I can learn how to get to Seoul and back).

During the week, nothing too special, other than I heard how Chusok (the Korean Thanksgiving) is making most of my students--especially the housewives--really stressed. This holiday goes from Tuesday to Thursday (Sept. 21 - 23). Does it always fall on these dates? Not necessarily: it all depends on the lunar calendar.

How is Chusok celebrated? Everyone goes to visit their parents/grandparents/ancestors' graves. Usually, they start with the husbands'/fathers' side of the family 1st, then the wives'/mothers' side, but sometimes they don't have enough time with all the traveling and cooking and what-not. So basically, it's about family, food, and giving thanks . . . kinda like American Thanksgiving.






Some sesame seeds I crushed in the mortar with pestle.

This was in Saboten (a Japanese restaurant) my friends and I ate in Saturday night. It's on the 6th or 7th floor of some amazingly popular mall.




My dinner. Hooray for finally trying a typical japanese meal! It's called Udon (wheat-flour noodle soup).

The only downside was that it was not filling.

No worries: I didn't touch the shrimp or the pork cutlet.





A new mall that's connected to the one we ate in. It's called "Times Square". Don't care about the stores . . . at all, but the arcade was pretty cool, the cinema looked awesome, and there's a Thai restaurant that's calling my name.





A display of artistic scooters.




I came back to Cheonan Sunday early afternoon. Would've loved to stay, but I need to run a few errands, like grocery shopping. I went to a store called "E-Mart". Kinda like American Wal-Mart . . . on steroids/as a mall.

Was able to find and buy most of what I needed . . . then hunger struck. I felt like trying something that was familiar to me. Got the Big Mac meal for less than what I would've paid in the States (so far, the only thing that was cheaper than in the States, besides public transportation).




During the week (Tuesday?), I saw this scene above (minus fish-eye application). I've already seen this once or twice before. This is how people move in and out of these 10+ floor apartment buildings.




There it goes, going up.






Kinda random, but it struck me how nice the playground actually looks. . . only I don't feel at all invited to even think about going there.




Ah, it looks like someone from the 9th (?) floor needs some supplies delivered to their balcony as well.







No comments:

Post a Comment